Do any of you have a 2 year old that says less than 10 words??

Do any of you have a 2 year old that says less than 10 words?? My son turned 2 in August, he only says a few words and my Doctor wants me to take him to a hearing specialist. I feel that he is just not ready to talk yet, he is such a busy boy too! He shows me everyday that he is very smart. He is just not talking yet. I am taking him to the hearing specialist on Monday just to make sure his ears are fine. I just wanted to see how many other parents are dealing with this. Thank you for reading this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have been there. DS is now 3.5 and speaks at the level of a normal 2 year old. When given assessments he is well ahead of the rest of the kids in gross motor but behind in speaking. We did speech therapy because he would get frustrated because he wanted things, but could not get across what he wanted. He is now in preschool in a special class and it has been very helpful. If he is just not ready yet, he will catch up with a little work in about 6 months (or so I was told) but if he has a larger problem, you will kick yourself for not getting help earlier. We are still holding off on getting him assessed for autism, and will till he is in grade school, but we got all the other assesments they suggested.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My cousin's son just turned 3, and he only says about 10 words, the doctor was conserned, but when they took him to a specialist, they got him to talk a little more, they said he can talk, he just doesn't want to lol. I'm sure he'll talk when he's good and ready to, in time. good luck
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I would have a developmental evaluation. He may be fine and talk when he wants to, but there also MAY be a problem that can be helped with speech therapy. Early intervention is so important, I wouldn't delay an evaluation until I was SURE there was a problem. If there is a problem, you're wasting precious months.

Answer by missanc at 2:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yep and he spent a year in speech therapy. He is now ahead of his peers in vocabulary and word usage with only a mild articulation delay!!! HUGE progress!!

He is delayed from the average 2 year old. Help is available. Please have him evaluated for possible therapy. If help is available why wait and home he'll "catch up"? If he doesn't qualify and suddenly starts talking up a storm (2 year olds should say about 50 words and be starting to use 2-3 word sentences) then great!!! At least you know you still did everything possible for him.
    Anonymous

• I'd also have him evaluated via Early Intervention (or equivalent). My son has been in EI for the past year and has made wonderful progress. EI doesn't reflect on how smart a child may be simply looks at where they are with learning basic skills and watches for mroe significant problems. Some kids simply need a little extra help to catch up. I was also advised to have his hearing tested but held off since he responds to the smallest of sounds.. It is true that kids learn at different speeds but since your doctor is concerned, I would look into having him evaluated.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2009