How can I help my daughter with her bowel movements?

My daughter is 2 and a half weeks old and breastfed. Her bm's seem normal, frequent yellow seedy loose poops, but she seems to have such a problem pushing them out. She grunts and screams and cries, I usually rub her tummy or back, or pick her up and snuggle her but sometimes nothing seems to work. Ive tried moving her legs to help but that doesnt seem to do anything but make her madder... any suggestions? I was thinking about calling her doctor if i cant find anything to help...

AlyssaDevonsMom

Asked by AlyssaDevonsMom at 1:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There really isn't anything to do. She's still a newborn, and she's just learning how to poop. It should get a bit easier with time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• She might have gas along with it.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 1:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• She seems to be a very gassy baby lol but she does fine with the farts usually its just the poops, i hope she learns how to push them out, i just feel so bad for her :S
    AlyssaDevonsMom

Answer by AlyssaDevonsMom at 1:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• As for the stool part, that sounds normal. As long as it is loose, she is not having "issues". Alot of newborns go through this phase. They are learning how to work their bowels. They will grunt, squirm and turn red too. As long as they are soft, there is nothing really you can do. If you are concerned something might be going on, call her ped. But from what you have written, it all sounds very normal.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Thanks for the advice! She does turn bright red! I try to give her binky too but she wants nothing to do with anyhting poor kiddo!
    AlyssaDevonsMom

Answer by AlyssaDevonsMom at 1:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2009