my son just turned 5 and just started learning readiness 1 day a week.His teacher says it's to early to tell if he's on the right track for reading what do you think

he can point to store signs like Petsmart and say "mom there's the word pet on that store but what else does it say" so he can separate a word and recognize a word he knows. He knows the words for most shows on "the guide" for Dish networks screen display on Tv
He goes through books and finds word he knows and loves to figure out words that start with certain sounds. Like at the grocery he says, "mom I see something that starts with a "BA" sound what is it" and I show him a banana and he tells me I'm right. He knows the sounds for the entire Alphabet. I have 3 older kids and do not remember anything, lol, I just want to be sure he isn't behind and get him extra help if he is

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you can buy site words flash cards. He seems ok to me. The site words are good for him to know asap.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• OP here~
    I am amazed at how many sight words he does know and his desire to sound out words
    Anonymous

• When my older kids were younger, we labeled almost everything in the house. My kids were obsessed with letters and words when they were young (3 and 4), so I took out the labelmaker and labeled their beds, lamps, doors, tables, chairs, etc. They loved it and started to recognize them quickly. I didn't really "quiz" them or anything, but just seeing them every day helped them.

Answer by missanc at 2:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• he sounds like my 4 1/2 yo..ds does this stuff all the time- sounding out letters, beginning of compound words that he recognizes, and asking me if i know what it is, then telling me i'm correct. lol..pretty cool to be quizzed by a preK, eh?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Is he is kindergarten? My son turned 5 on Oct 3rd and he started kindergarten this year. He is in a "High Achieving" school which means that their guidelines are higher than the state of Cali's. He is learning a new "site word" a week and so far has learned I, like, see, my, stop, go & the. He can "read" it when he see's it and can spell them aloud when asked to. He is learning a letter a week and so far has learned S, M, R, T and B. He is also learning to put the first letter of a word (the "onset") and the ending sound of a word (the "rime" yes, its RIME and not RHYME) together to make a word. I will say the sound "s" and then pause and say "kate" and he will say "s... skate"

So if thats the "high acheiving" end of things then I would say your son is doing great!! Becuase it sounds like he already knows more than my son is being taught
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yep sounds great and if you are interested in teaching him to read yourself then I recommend the Hooked on Phonics program. I used it to teach both of mine to read and it worked like a charm. They were reading at around age 4 because they wanted to know what every single word said, pretended to read books, had all the signs of readiness that you are talking about. So yeah, don't worry, is he not in kinder?
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Sounds like he is right on track. Just keep pointing out words or letting him point them out and sound them out. My son's Kindergarten didn't teach reading until the 2nd half of the year. They learned sight words and then started reading after January. He really showed his reading skills towards the middle to end of 1st grade.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• He seems on track. My daughter was doing sight words last year and if they knew 26 of 32 they were ahead...only to find out the school she is at for first grade only required like 15...so she's really ahead
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2009