How long is dry dog food good for?

My mom has a very big storage box of dry dog food from a few months ago. She was expecting a dog that never came so it just sits there. I'm bringing a dog home this week and I hate to let all the food go to waste but I want to be sure it's safe. She doesn't remember the brand it was. Can I still use it after a few months?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Pets

• Yes, dry dog food doesn't really "go bad" .. unless it's a few years old even then it isn't going to necessarily be bad just unappealing to the animal.

AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 1:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yes, dry dog food DOES go bad, Angel! The kind I buy has very few preservatives, and only lasts about three weeks (my dog goes through a 20lb bag every three weeks so it works out.) You can tell it's bad if it's discolored, or it smells like fish (or even if it just smells off). Honestly though, I would buy whatever food the dog is already eating instead of giving him some other food completely; changing up his food suddenly can give him diarrhea and vomiting.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Well I hate to tell ya your dog food sits alot longer than 3 weeks on a store shelf...
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 6:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• If it contains a lot of corn be careful as it can go mouldy and make a dog seriously and even fatally ill. If in doubt, throw it out. I would never feed a dog or cat food that has a high cereal content.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yes dog food can go bad. Yes it can be on the store shelves for months. I bought a bag i ended up trashing because it was bad and made my dog sick! A freaking 40lb bag.

I would not trust pet food that has set open like that.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2009