How much should breastfed babies eat?

I am pumping and feeding my daughter expressed milk in a bottle because we had a lot of problems in the beginning. She is eating 2 1/2 to 3 ounces every 2-3 hours, is that enough? I know i am being over concerned because she is gaining weight properly and the doctors are very happy with her progress. But sometimes right after she eats she roots around again and wont stop crying till i give her more, then she spits up... i tried the binky burping and everything it just seems her tummy is not telling her she is full... She is just over 2 weeks old now

AlyssaDevonsMom

Asked by AlyssaDevonsMom at 1:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is really just plenty.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• As long as she is gaining weight and having wet diapers, she's getting enough.

Answer by missanc at 2:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yep... that should be enough. Just make sure you pump often to keep your supply up. Babies who drink b. milk from a bottle tend to want a little more, maybe because they take it down so quickly... but you can always put her to the breast so she can suck a little longer, or just find another way to pacify her. If she starts to really look like she wants to eat all the time, start pumping even more frequently. If she were on the breast, you'd be putting her on there on-demand, so try to do the same thing with pumping... their increased demand is how your body knows they're going through a growth spurt or getting bigger and so it increases supply that way. Keep up the good work. Pumping's no walk in the park.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Is there any way you could get her to latch now and just feed her at the breast? The spit up may be happening because she's getting too much air from the bottle. It's so much easier to give baby the right amount at the breast because you just feed on demand and until baby decides to end the session. I've always thought that pumping and bottle feeding was more difficult and more confusing.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• yeah i dont mind pumping and bottle feeding, its much more difficult at night. i have tried numerous times to get her to eat directly from the breast, we get latched and then she falls asleep, this is the problem we had in the hospital and we tried everything to keep her awake, the lactation specialist couldnt help, thats when they told me to put her on formula and i refused. Everytime she eats, i pump so its like feeding on demand, sometimes if my breasts fill up sooned ill pump then and put it in the fridge for later. So im trying to mimic her the best i can :)
    AlyssaDevonsMom

Answer by AlyssaDevonsMom at 3:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Did the lactation consultant teach you to gently poke her cheek or nudge her chin every time she fell asleep during a feeding? My babies were bad about that for the first 6 weeks, but the LC just told me to keep nudging their face. Sometimes I'd have to wake them every couple of minutes, lol. But after 6 weeks they stopped falling asleep all the time and it got way easier.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• yeah we poked and prodded and did a cold facecloth... it wouldnt work she just gets too comfy lol
    AlyssaDevonsMom

Answer by AlyssaDevonsMom at 9:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2009