is it normal for yeast infection medicines (like monistat) to burn?

i haven't had a yeast infection for about 5 years or so but i thought i had another one so i got the off brand of monistat 3. i remember the treatment being uncomfortable in the past but now it is so uncomfortable/burny that i have to go take a bath to rinse it off. :( do you think i have something else? my first prenatal appt isn't until nov 25th, and it's an hour away but i am thinking about going to see a midwife here in my town in the mean time. thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I just used one for the first time last week and it burned for two days after finishing the product. I read the pamphlet and it said burning was was normal. I thought it burned me so bad because I have super sensitive skin.
    I would call the local midwife and see if you could get in earlier. Maybe she can give you the Diflucan pill for yeast infections.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• It burns prob bcuz of the infection. Did you scratch alot? I used a douche and gave myself one and the cream burned. I just sucked it up and now i am fine.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 2:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• thanks ladies. yes i have been scratching so that makes it burn externally, but the worst burning is the internal burning. it is ok when i first put the medicine in but then when i go to the bathroom, and it gets near the vaginal opening, but just inside the vagina, it burns a lot. it burns enough that i cannot get to sleep. i even tried like meditating or thinking about other stuff for about 15 minutes and then i had to go take a bath. :( i hope enough stayed in there so i can get better. :P I do think it feels a bit better now but i did my 3rd night last night. actually last night i put only like 1/2 of the medicine in and then didn't go pee for 2 hours so hopefully it did a little bit of good. but then when i peed at 2 hours, i had to go take a bath (in the middle of the night) because it was burning

OP
    Anonymous

• oh i meant to say that i don't use the external medicine because it burns to put on from where i have scratched. i need to wear gloves to bed! but i don't know what to do about the internal burning... hopefully it gets better even though i probably only got like 10% of the medicine.
    Anonymous

• Oh the lovely side of being a female. hahaah

I had a yeast infection while I was pregnant with my first dd. I remember it burning really bad. But one you sit for a few minutes and watch tv or something you'll forget about it and it will go away.

As far as what the PP said, I don't think doucheing is okay during pregnancy. In all actuallity, you shouldn't douche at all when you have an infection because that will push the infection further up.
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 2:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Go to your OB/GYN Midwife whatever you use I had the same problem not that long ago and the reason it burned because I had a allergic reaction to a ingredient in the Monistat product. Feel Better.
    Anonymous

• thanks again ladies! definitely if i am still pretty yeasty tomorrow i'll call either a midwife or OB in my town and try to get in maybe monday ... don't want to wait the weekend but i'm sure i'll have to. :)
    Anonymous

• I've had the antifungal medication burn when I had a yeast infection. Don't wash it off, but do see your doctor when you can. Pregnancy can predispose you to a yeast infection because your cells "there" contain more glycogen, which the yeast convert to sugar for energy.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2009