When you were a child, did you know that your parents loved you?

When you were a child, did you FEEL loved?

I'm curious because according to an article i just read it says that most adults remembering knowing that their parents loved them as children, but most of them rarely ever FELT loved.
As for me, I knew i was loved. But i rarely ever felt loved. My mom was too busy to give us (my siblings and i) much attention. She was our only parent and she did everything she could to provide for us. That's how i knew i was loved. But i only FELT loved when she would hold me, rock me, and sing to me.

According to this article, studies show that children who FEEL loved are more loving. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• i agree. i think that you can know your parents love you, but you really need to FEEL that love through hugs, kisses and cuddles. i think that is very important and will shape how you are when you love your children & others.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Kids assume that they are loved by their parents. Finding out the reality is very devastating for those who really weren't. "Love" can be a very empty word.
    Anonymous

• Yes, my parents were very big on showing love. Lots of hugs and kisses. But they also showed me through the sacrifices that they made to be there for me - as one of 5 kids, it would have seemed that they couldn't have been at every dance recital, school performance, piano recital, etc, but they always made the time for me.

Answer by missanc at 2:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I knew it- and still know it. hugs and kisses and having fun and being silly - my parents still are my favorite people.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• so maxsmom you don't just know you are loved by your parents you FEEL it.
    Anonymous

• I wish I could say that I felt loved as a child or even now by my parents....but given the ugly facts, I didn't and still do not. I look to my heavenly Father for that love now and feel much better because of it.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I was loved. I was taken care of and realize that love is more than just a hug. My family wasn't big on touchy feely things. But we took care of each other and were there if something happened. I felt loved when we'd go shopping or just sit on the couch and watch. My dad did puzzles with me after school or on the weekends. I never have equated "feeling" love as being loved. I think the fact that I was comfortable doing anything even getting into trouble was enough to 'feel' loved.
    Anonymous

• YES I DID. I knew that they loved me to their core and I felt it often.

As a teen when they divorced and kind of lost sight of thier parenting responsiblities...at least I had that solid foundation to fall back on.

I think if you ask my kids 15,13, and 8 they would say they feel loved.... maybe not every moment (LOL... they couldnt be happy 24/7 with me) but I think they feel it.
    Anonymous

• every night my mom and dad sat on my bed side and said prayers, cuddled, and talked to me. Even in high school they would do that at least once a week. I am very loved and feel it always. It is not what we say to our kids or even what we do 'for them' but the time we spend with them. "Quality" time can not match "Quanitiy" time... for the good and bad times to know that they are there is what is important.
    Anonymous

• i knew they loved me..but at the same time i always thought my mom liked the daycare kids better (she ran a daycare outta our home) so i always felt like she was spending more time with those kids. as for my dad, he was just always working, so i dont remember seeing him much..now as for my brother and sister (both older than me) i knew they loved me, especially my sister, she was always protecting me, and eatin the food off my plate that i didnt like, but was forced to eat (i HATE potatoes, and my mom would make me sit at the dinner table until i was finished everything!!), and everytime i got into trouble she would come running and saying to my parents "spank me instead!! dont spank her" and also with my parents i never felt like i could talk to them..about anything..i thought that if i did i would get inot trouble ( they were/are very strict christians) and i just dont live that way..i never really was..so it made it hard
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2009