Sudden intolerance to meat

I had the flu for about a week and all I could eat was jello and plain toast. I started eating again but now I cannot eat meat at all. It makes my stomach hurt, I start vomiting and get diarreha. Has anyone else had this happen or know what it is?

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 2:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Health

• I think your body may need to slowly work back into being able to digest meat. Meat is one of the hardest things to digest. Have you tried shredding or finely chopping the meat and eating some in a soup? Do you have problems with all meats including fish and chicken? I'd avoid beef and pork until you get more comfortable when eating fish or chicken. Start slowly reintroducing it to your diet. I know when I've been sick for more than a few days I have to be careful what I eat for at least a week or two.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• When you stop eating meat, your body stops producing the enzyme necessary to digest meat. Don't eat it; it's very bad for the planet, and not so good for people, either.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I don't want people to tell me not to eat meat. I just want to know WHY my body cannot suddenly not tolerate it at all.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You may also want to try to get some acidophilus tablets (near vitamins & supplements in Walmart or pharmacy). Stomach flu and antibiotics tend to weaken or kill the acidophilus bacteria in your stomach, making it harder to digest some foods.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• rk is right,
    when you stop eating meat, your body will no longer produce the enzyme needed to digest it. also, because your stomach has been under such an ordeal high proteins will not be able to be digested or tolerated very well. the advice we used to give, was-no meats or milks, dairy products, high proteins until you have been completely well for at least 2 days.
    go with things like vanilla wafers, baked potato, rice, pasta, breads, even cakes and cookies with no icing, bagels- whenever you have that type of illness.
    feel better soon girl.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2009