Signs that a 3 month old has an ear ache?

I have a 3 month old son and lately I've been noticing that he's been grabbing and rubbing his left ear. He hasn't really been particularly more fussy than usual but he has been having trouble sleeping. No fever either. Because of swine flu and the regular flu being so rampant right now, I'd really like to avoid going to the doctor's office, if at all possible, so we aren't sitting in a packed waiting room for an hour with a bunch of sick kids coughing and sneezing everywhere. However if he does have an ear ache, of course I want to get it taken care of before it gets worse. What do you think?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• An ear ache isn't a big deal. However, if it's an ear infection, or at least you suspect one, call the doctor and see what they say. If he also has some congestion, there's a good chance it could be. Mine would just SCREAM every time we laid them down. I mean SCREAM.

It's worth calling the doctor. Remember, you can keep him in his carrier and he won't be touching anything in the office so there is a lesser chance of him catching anything. YOU will want to be more careful than usual though.

Good luck!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2009