Im so upset I dont know what to do, I think she has diabetes

im pretty sure my baby has type 1 diabetes and im so upset I hate myself, I dont know what I did wrong for her to get this, I ate so healthy when I was pregnant and I breastfeed...all I wanted was for my baby to be happy and healthy and now she prob. has this...and I have to wait to days for her appointment to find out...im so scared..why did this have to happen to my poor baby, I dont want her to have to live with someone like this ..its so fucked up..why do bad things have to happen to sweet innocent babies....I just know she has it...she has all the symptoms

I feel like its my fault, I had to of done something for her to get this...and I just dont understand, no one in either of our families has this
she has almost all the symptoms

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• * Excessive wet diapers--- (she pees SOO much at night that she has been soaking through her diapers almost every night the last 2 weeks, but during the day she pees pretty normal, not excessively at all)

* Diaper rash that doesn’t resolve quickly or keeps recurring--(she has only had diaper rash a couple of times, but this last time she got it, it last for soo long and took forever just to heal, normally it heals very quick)

* Constant hunger and/or thirst-- (DEFINITELY has this)

• Irritability or fussiness that doesn’t seem related to colic-- (she definitely definitely has this)
    • Sleeping more than usual----- (doesn’t have this one, she wakes up A LOT)
    Anonymous

• • Slow/poor wound healing----- (she had two wounds that healed VERY slow took a couple of months, one of the back of her heal from her shoe digging in that scarred and one on her face that I thought was gonna scar but its gone, she doesn’t bruise easy though, but when she crawls on the hard wood floors a lot she sometimes gets bruises on her knees but they heal quickly)
    • sudden weight loss—(she hasn’t lost weight but she stopped gaining weight at 9 months, shes been stuck at the same weight so they told me I had to stop breastfeeding and she is now being formula fed)
    Anonymous

• Mommy Mommy try to calm down. How old is your baby? What does your ped say, bloodwork urine tests? When my daughter was 10 years old she had a diabetic friend. Selftested in the school nurses's office as written in her school med script. If your baby has it, it's good to find it early instead of struggling and wating later. You might be able to get pediatric specialists opinions too.

You've heard of the Jonas Brothers? Nick Jonas the youngest is a diabetic. Look at all he does.
    It is scary. When my youngest was 3 mos old I faced her having to be tested for cystic fibrosis. She didn't have it but the test and wait was horrific. Children have cancer and survive.

What do the doctors tests say?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• she is 11 months old. and i told the nurse about her extreme irritability and slow wound healing and she said oh thats not normal (which of course scared me ALOT) and I have an appt. thursday..so I have to wait which is killing me...I thought it was Zinc deficiency as she has alot of those symptoms too which are the same as diabetes, but she has MORE of the diabetes symptoms..the reason I thought she was zinc deficient to start is because I am, I have a ton of the symptoms..and since I nurse if I dont have the vitamin she wont either
    Anonymous

• My son has extreme irritabity... he has some lactose intolerance issues, stooling issues, dietary issues mainly but got better once he was on ALL solids - formula days were just absolutely TERRIBLE - he cried/fussed all day long.. even after he was done with colic - I KNEW something was wrong with him and had him tested for everything and everything came back negative - turns out he's just a challenging child !!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• op its' almost nightime so it's almost Wed almost Thursday. Stop looking up symptoms. My second baby had similar things, I remember now too. The loose poo, crankiness nonstop ... she too was colicky and hers was from drinks through me - orange juice gave her horrible rashes. When I stopped drinking cow's milk to ease up her lactose intolerance she suddenly didn't poor for two weeks - it was torture!!!!!! For her rashes try kitchen cornstach and patting not wiping with Viva paper towels they;re pretty soft. I used tap water that was lukewarm while patting her.

When your baby's rash finally clears put vaseline in her bottom cheeks crack and labia area - it'll keep the urine and poo from sticking to baby's skin and help stop rashes. I used to do that too in swimming pool to stop chlorine from causing rashes.

Hope you and baby feel better. If you think of it drop a note to say what happened.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Girl, stop googling webMD. :) First off, you did everything you could for your little one. Remember, breastfeeding reduces the risk, not the whole thing. Second, a doctor will look at her symptoms. You cannot be a doctor by googling symptoms. I know that you're worried and upset, but it's probably nothing more than a fixable issue.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2009