my teen daughter does not have her period,she had before but now she does not is there something wrong or is it normal?

sleepymommy4

Asked by sleepymommy4 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 6, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• A lot of that can depend on her stress, if she's athletic, having sex and such. It's normal for people who are very athletic to miss periods or have unusual cycles. Stress can do the same thing.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2008

• my daughter is 14.shes not an athletic person,sex no way shes a very smart girl shes knows thats wrong,as far as stress shes a teen everything is stressful for her,im just curious because people have told me it means she cant have kids in the future and others have said well you should put her on the pill to help make it normal that to me is out of the question,just wanted to get some feedback from you ladies im going to make a doctor appt. for her just to check it out.
    sleepymommy4

Answer by sleepymommy4 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 6, 2008

• Ugh, I hate when people put kids on the pill just to regulate them. That's so unhealthy! Hope everything is fine with her. :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2008

• I think that you should definitley take her to the doctor, especially if you are sure she's not having sex. I don't think that is normal.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2008

• I didn't have my period until I was 16. My doctor said it was fine, just one of the lucky ones! As for not being able to have kids, I just had one!
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2008

• Take her to a doctor. Ask her if she would like to go to your OB/GYN. Ask her if she would prefer a man or woman doctor. Ask her if she would prefer you to stay in the room or wait outside. This will be uncomfortable for her (as it is for us all!) so make certain she is comfortable with the doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2008

• I remember that my daughter went several months and did not have one. When she finally did have one, it was extremely heavy. I was about ready to take her to the doctor when it suddenly returned to just a normal period. She was fine after that, having regular periods. I think it just has to do with the hormones being not yet regulated into a rhythmic pattern. If you are very concerned, take her to see or at least talk to your doctor.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2008

• Take her to the Dr. I am not sure what is wrong with her but a dr. might
    as for you thinking she is not having sex because she is a smart girl
    lets just say there are plenty of "smart girls" out there that do very stupid things
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2008

• thank you anonymous i am positive that my daughter is not havin sex,she is the type of person who would be the first person to let you know when you are doing something stupid,i know that i have raised a responsible daughter who knows that sex at 14 is just not something to do, we are very close she talks to me about everything even her friends come to me when they need someone i feel very lucky to have the daughter that i have she has a good head on her shoulders she works very hard at school she would like to become an immigration lawyer when she grows up.
    sleepymommy4

Answer by sleepymommy4 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2008

• Is she eating? I'm anorexic, and I haven't had a period in years. Take her to the doctor. If she does have an eating disorder don't ignore it like my parents, get her treatment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2008