Im so upset I dont know what to do, I think she has diabetes

im pretty sure my baby has type 1 diabetes and im so upset I hate myself, I dont know what I did wrong for her to get this, I ate so healthy when I was pregnant and I breastfeed...all I wanted was for my baby to be happy and healthy and now she prob. has this...and I have to wait to days for her appointment to find out...im so scared..why did this have to happen to my poor baby, I dont want her to have to live with someone like this ..its so fucked up..why do bad things have to happen to sweet innocent babies....I just know she has it...she has all the symptoms

I feel like its my fault, I had to of done something for her to get this...and I just dont understand, no one in either of our families has this
she has almost all the symptoms

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• * Excessive wet diapers--- (she pees SOO much at night that she has been soaking through her diapers almost every night the last 2 weeks, but during the day she pees pretty normal, not excessively at all)

* Diaper rash that doesn’t resolve quickly or keeps recurring--(she has only had diaper rash a couple of times, but this last time she got it, it last for soo long and took forever just to heal, normally it heals very quick)

* Constant hunger and/or thirst-- (DEFINITELY has this)

• Irritability or fussiness that doesn’t seem related to colic-- (she definitely definitely has this)
    • Sleeping more than usual----- (doesn’t have this one, she wakes up A LOT)
    Anonymous

• • Slow/poor wound healing----- (she had two wounds that healed VERY slow took a couple of months, one of the back of her heal from her shoe digging in that scarred and one on her face that I thought was gonna scar but its gone, she doesn’t bruise easy though, but when she crawls on the hard wood floors a lot she sometimes gets bruises on her knees but they heal quickly)
    • sudden weight loss—(she hasn’t lost weight but she stopped gaining weight at 9 months, shes been stuck at the same weight so they told me I had to stop breastfeeding and she is now being formula fed)
    Anonymous

• Well, in all honestly. My son has ALL of these issues !! Literally ALL of them and he does NOT have diabetes.... but really... TONs of people have diabetes and it will be so normal for HER that its probably harder for you now that it will be for her to deal with. hang in there mommy...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• i would'nt freak out until you get her checked especially if neither of your fams have it...i would be worried more if you or her father had it. Most babies do wet their diapers a lot through the night and eat a lot and do most the things your talking about...my son CRIED till he was about 7 months old. Dont worry so much
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You need to stop. Your baby would be VERY sick if she had type 1 diabetes. Did you get a diagnosis of this from the doctor?
    Think of it this way, babies eat sleep poop and pee. If she is drinking more, she will pee more. If her blood sugar was high she would sleep alot.
    Anonymous

• so maybe she doesnt have it then??? im sorry im just so scared, I just want her to be happy and healthy, and I know how hard this can be especially for someone so young
    Anonymous

• and it wouldnt be your fault if she did have it...there is nothing you can do to control your childs health conditions.... except keep your body healthy while your pregnant but i dont think that has anything to do with diabetes
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You say she has "all the symptoms" but when you list them, you mark several that she doesn't have.

You haven't had her tested yet, you need to worry about that first.

It's not the end of the world. If you have done any research about diabetes, you'd know that there is NOTHING you could have done or not done to prevent it if she does have it.

If she's soaking through her diapers, go up a size. Peeing through is usually a good sign it's time to go up a size.

Depending on her age, eating a lot could be her getting ready for a growth spurt.

I'm sorry, but if the doctor was overly concerned about it, you'd not be waiting two days for a simply glucose check.
    Anonymous

• Even if she does have it (and from what you've written, I don't see how you think she does) she can still lead a very healthy and happy life. It's not a death sentence you know.
    Anonymous

• yes, its VERY possible she doesn't have it - Seriously - my son had ALL ALL ALL Those symptoms she has and so many of them are SO NORMAL. . I know you are scared - we are all scared when it comes to our babies...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2009