What age do you think is best to start sports?

My daughter is four and she said she wants to do cheerleading, softball and ballet.
When she was three we did ballet at the church she went to playschool at and she couldn't stand it because they made her stand still, lol. So she stopped after a few weeks (now she says she wants to try again, but I really don't think she would enjoy it).

What do you think is the best age and what do you think is the best sport ( that is not too competitive)?

presleyfan1

Asked by presleyfan1 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly I was very hesitant to have my boys in sports too early, however they both started wrestling at the age of 4. They have stuck with it now for many years, they are 15 and 11. They started baseball at 6 and football at 9. They continue to play all these sports.
    My youngest also tried gymnastics at 7, I didn't like the instructor and interfered with wrestling so we stopped.
    I think it probably really depends on the child. Both my boys at 4 were not 100% devoted to learning wrestling they were there to "play" over time they started to pick up on what was really going on. Lucky for us the club was free and the coaches very patient.
    I think if its not too expensive let her have another try, or maybe they will let her attend once or twice to see if she likes it. (We did karate that way - and my son wasn't interested after watching)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I think 4 is great, especially if she is ASKING to!

We got DD a hockey stick and puck (little kid curious George set) for her 1st birthday she plays with them, she's 18 months now and we just bought her her 1st ice hockey skates (we're waiting till xmas to give them to her though) She's had them on at the hockey shop a few times a LOVED it, wanted to go out on the ice, asked for a hockey stick, cried when we took them of lol. She goes to all mommy and daddy's games and will sit there and watch for a whole period or 2 before she starts to lose interest!

We'll get her on a team as soon as she's close to old enough, maybe by 3?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Funny, my two year old boy said (while my daughter was talking about it) that he wants to play Hockey!! Where did you get the kids set?
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• We found the curious George set at Marshalls/TJ Max and had to buy it because DD LOVES George! We're getting her another little set with 2 sticks and a little net for Xmas too, at the hockey shop, we got the skates from the shop too.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I would wait until 5. My dd wanted to start karate, and we made her wait until she was 8. Her teacher said kids under 5 have a really hard time listening and following instructions.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I think the younger the better bc they need to be active instead of being inside watching the same thing over & over again...
    jessicakaye_08

Answer by jessicakaye_08 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009