Do walmart associates get paid maternity/paternity leave?

I Know the US is only one of 4 countries that does not offer paid leave for a new parent, but I know California does. Im not sure to what extent, or which companies give it. So I was wondering does Walmarts in Ca offer paid or unpaid leave?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 4:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I would think there would be an HR # to call. I would start with HR. My guess would be probably not.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 6:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• All ANY company has to give is maternity leave...it does not have to be paid. As for specific companies, you would have to read the employee handbook or call the HR department.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• They have to give you the time off under FMLA, but paying you for it is at the discretion of the company that you work for. I worked for Walgreens before becoming a SAHM and I was given 6 weeks of paid leave when I had my children. It was considered disability and the amount of disability I was entitled to depended on the amount of time I worked for the company, with 6 weeks being the maximum. So call HR and find out if they offer paid leave, but realize that there is no law requiring them to pay you for your time off.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Management gets paid leave. In Cali you get the state disability I am not sure if Walmart pays the 40 percent or not I would wager they don't. They do have to give you the time off but they don't have to pay you anything. The state helps you. We paid in 380 a month to the state disability fund. Where we live now we pay in only 20 bucks a month and that covers 80 percent. Cali is one f ed up state to screw people over like that. We never used it and would have rather paid into a company plan and paid less.
    Anonymous