My daughter is 7 and had horrible body odor.

She has to wear deoderant. She's had to since kinder, this just doesnt seem normal to me. She takes a bath daily and if she doesnt put it on she will stink. My child is biracial I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. I just don't think it's normal. Anyone else have a young daughter with body odor? I didnt get body odor till 5th grade. Period at 13. Isnt she young to start puberty?

Mrs.Oriaku

Asked by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, if you think she is overly perspirating talk to her doctor. My daughter wears deodorant but that's because she's a tank and thinks she's one of the boys. She runs around like a nut. I read somewhere once to "have you kid wear deodorant before they need deordorant." It's a good hygeine habit.

Ask your daughter's paternal grandmother and paternal linked aunts when they started to develop. Then ask your mom and sisters. You might get a rough idea of when she's going to hit puberty.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• my son has to wear deoderant and he is 4 (he started when he was 3). why would u think that race would have anything to do with it?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I don't want to come across and ignorant but in my experience black people develop a little faster then white.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My son is 11 and doesn't have bo yet but my nephew started needing deodorant around 6 yrs old. I think it just depends on the individual person and their chemistry. I wouldn't worry about it or make her feel bad, teach her good grooming habits (including a good strong deodorant) and be glad if this is all you have to worry about! The puberty will be here before you know it and it's a whole other can o' worms! : )
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• my daughter (9) and my son (5) wear deodorant bc they see mommy and daddy wear it...no big deal. I know when my daughter plays her sports in the summer and gets hot and sweaty and shes not wearing any she has the armpit smell...So I think that its normal....I mean my daughter showers daily and she doesnt stink and it could be the biracial thing too. If you are concered the next time you take her to the doc or something just ask them if that could be the cause. Just keep her underarms smelling good...also B.O. comes from what you eat. Like if you eat alot of garlic or onions...stuff like that it comes out when you sweat! Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• No, she isn't. My friends daughter got her period at 9. If the odor is that big of an issue, talk to the doctor about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I just keep deoderant on her. I feel bad that she smells. I don't want my baby to be the smelly girl at school! She soemtimes forgets. We went to a halloween party at a friends house. she forgot to put it on and i had to take her in the bathroom and wash her pits and spray room freshener all over her.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 6:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I heard it somewhere that bathing in garic water will eliminate body odor.
    Boil some garlic cloves in large pot of water than into bath water (I'm told there isn't any garlic odor). Soak for 10~15 minutes and bathe as usual.

4tea1

Answer by 4tea1 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2009