what do you do when you tell your child no and they look straight at you and do it anyway? time out isn't working neither is grounding or 2 swats on the bootie. he is 6.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Stand at the table and write lines. Muaahah im the meanest mom in the world for that!! ask my 7year old. I write the first sentence. I will not ...... she does the rest. both sides.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I have told my child that when they lie, when the dilibertly do what I have told them not to that is like saying "mom I dont care enough about you to listen to you"..... I ask them do you not like me? If you dont agree with what Im saying that is one thing but to lie and do something on purpose is telling me that you dont like me.

Yah it is good old fashioned guilt... but it works.

Now that they are older (teens and tweens) they are permitted to question RESPECTFULLY our rules.... even coming up with alternative rules... but it has to be Respectful, Thought out, and adress our concerns. Some times they have had success and changed a rule.... sometimes not.
    Anonymous

• extreme time out, my husband has done it to my 3 year old but i think he's too young for it, you could give it a try tho. back on the wall and do a squat he's not allowd to fall lol basically a football squat.
    Anonymous

• Stop spanking him. Get the book "1 2 3 Magic". It is a common sense, non spanking approach to discipline that works. It is easy to follow and something that works quickly. Demand respect and take things away when he is disrespectful.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• we spank if need to but it is a rare occasion at my home. I love on my kids so much that if they thought they were disobeying me it would hurt thier feelings.
    When they disobey, I make them sit with me and tell me why they do things that are wrong and they HATE it. My 7 yr old is notorious for not accepting the words no. He thinks no means ask more. 1, 2, 3 magic works for a while but not at 8 or so and up. Good luck
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 5:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• STAND with his nose in the corner and not for a set period of time. If you told him to do something and he refused...he stands there until he does it. If he did something you told him not to, he stands there until he is ready to apologize to you and tell you what he did wrong, if it was touching something he wasn't supposed to touch...he loses a priviledge.

If he makes a mess, he cleans up the mess and then maybe scrubs a small section of the kitchen floor (in a few days, you might have a clean floor if he doesn't learn his lesson quickly! LOL)
    Anonymous