How would you feel? How would you handle it?

How would you deal with this scenario?

You are a Christian and when your child grows up he or she becomes atheist or agnostic.

You are atheist or agnostic and your child grows up and he or she becomes a Christian.

You are ____ ( fill in the blank) and you're child becomes something totally different and very far from your religon or they way they were raised.

I think that this is a very delicate subject and just wonder how someone thinks they would handle it or if they have experienced it, and what was it like.

My brother and sister in law are VERY conservative Christians and I wonder if they're children will rebel one day or do something that they see as terrible and how they will react. I am an open minded Christian, I do wish for my children to have a life long relationship with God but I would not shut them out of my life if they didn't, I think a parents love should be unconditional.

presleyfan1

Asked by presleyfan1 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i totally agree!!!
    LoveKillsSlowly

Answer by LoveKillsSlowly at 4:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Im not sure. I would have the hardest time with them being athiest... but I have a friend who is an athiest and one of the nicest people I have ever met. She doesnt believe in God but she does believe in karma and it keeps her on a similar track.
    Anonymous

• My mom has been very cool towards me emotionally and all that since I left Christianity. Thats how she reacted. She didnt really cut me off but she definately treats me and my family differently then my sister who is still in the church and such.

My children will know of my spiritual beliefs but they will also be taught about whatever other ones they want to know about. Heck, maybe Ill even have a world religions class when they are old enough to understand things better. My children are still young(oldest is 5) so we take things on a case by case basis right now LOL.

IF they chose to do something different, I honestly wouldnt care. Id just be happy that they found something, hopefully, that gives them the same joy and peace I feel. If they got pushy with their beliefs Im sure Id be reminding them of the lessons taught to be respectful of others and their beliefs,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I'm very open minded and also a Christian. I would be supportive of my children no matter what religious beliefs they have.my husband is agnostic and I have friends and family who aren't Christian and I don't look down on them. I just don't have the same beliefs as they do.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Either way, I would love her unconditionally no matter what.

One rule, tho: No proselytizing in my house.  (That's just rude.) 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My child can be what ever makes them comfortable and happy and what ever they truly believe. I would never force them to bare false witness to any thing.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• That is a very hard question, people say they don't care what religion or belief their child follows but I find it hard to believe that having your child grow up to be something totally oposite of what you have raised them in wouldn't be difficult.

I can't in all honesty say how I would react. You can not force your child to believe nor would you want to. And as a parent and a Christian you would not want to shut them out. But it would cause strain.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• well my husband grew up in a christian home.I grew up in an agnostic home, but my mother wanted me to be educated about all religions, so i could make my own choice. we're both agnostic, maybe even aethist. Our son has a good amount of interest in christianity. so we take him to church, bible school and such. How else can he make a decision about what he believes if he isn't exposed to it? Our parents are fine with us. As long as our son leads a "moral" life, we don't care what he choices to lead him down that path. We live by the standards of "do the right thing", kindness, and respect. It doesn't take a religion to have those values.
    Anonymous

• i would be very heart broken if my son became a christian, but it wouldnt change how i treated him.
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My husband and i are Pagan. We are trying to raise our children with an understanding of many different religions and beliefs outside our own. We are guiding them in the Pagan path but if they chose something entirely different, we would be okay with that. The only religions or "faiths" i would have a hard time with are ones that teach cruelty and hatred. ...But i can't honestly think of any religions that do that. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2009