i'm thinking about homeschooln how do i get started?

i haven't really had much success trying to figure it all out. all i know is that i do the teaching and he does all the learning but i don't know what the rules and regulations are. do i have to order anything? register with anyone?

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 4:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would start by learning English grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. How can you teach your child when you can't even get it right?
    Anonymous

• madam, this is a social network, i can type which ever way i want to. it's short typing so you don't waste room in the text window, maybe you should be educated in morale and self preservation cause you got problems if you do this all day cause i swear you're the same person that keeps commenting on people short typing. get a life.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 4:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• omGosh i didn't even do much short typing in that post either you punk!
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 4:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• If you email me back I could give you some answers because my sister homeschools bothe her kids.
    seashore29

Answer by seashore29 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I homeschool my 3 yr old and my 13 yr old. It's the best parenting decision we've ever made for our 13 yr old!

It also can be VERY overwhelming when you start researching!

If you'd like to ask any questions - feel free to send me a message :)

Good luck to you!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 6:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You need to find out the rules in your state for homeschooling unless you are just planing to do preschool/kindergarten. After you do that try to find some local families that homeschool to help you out. The beauty of homeschooling is you do what is right for you and your child. Personally I have a more of an unschooling approach with my 2 and 4 year old and have not decided if we are going to continue with the homeschooling or not. Our state is one of the more difficult ones to homeschool in and that plays a big part in our decision.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You wish to homeschool, yet you care not how you appear to others through the written word?

The first step is obviously to check with your state regulations, look for local homeschooling (or homeschooln for you) organizations/groups in order to discover what aid they may be able to offer.

And what on earth does one's morale and self-preservation have to do with the desire to see one using proper English and grammar? The first anon obviously is concerned for your child's future learning, and rightly so.
    Anonymous

• If you think you would actually put the time into it, I say go for it! NO, you don't need a 4 yr college degree either, unless you will be teaching your kid college material..which of course you're not! I homeschool my daughter, I think it is better since I know which ways she learns best, plus it is one on one , teachers in school don't care about one child's academic progress, they follow a lesson plan and move on even if your kid isn't getting it. This leaves you teaching most of it to your child anyway. So you could try looking into K12, they offer a great curriculum, and they also provide a teacher to help when help is needed. If you're interested, feel free to message me. I totally understand how you feel, I was on my own when I started, so I'd be glad to help!
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 9:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Oh my gosh. I don't care how I appear to people on cafemom, either. I doubt most moms on here have a 4 year degree. Who cares?

OP, I'm sure that when you're not shorthanding you speak and type fine. Ignore the anon, who probably just doesn't like homeschooling. Check out yahoo groups in your area and see if there's a home schooling group. There are some on here, too. I doubt anon will be in them.

What we did was checked out a few curriculums, decided on Heart of Dakota, which is religious, and purchased it. I made some basic plans from it, but most curriculums lay it out pretty well. In NC, you're not required to file anything saying you're homeschooling until the kids are 7, but most start at kindergarten age. You can check out the homeschool legal defense association, or maybe it's organization, but it has all the breakdowns of what you need to do to make it legal.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Hi Everyone,

We've removed several answers from this question, and wanted to explain why.

We'd like Answers to be a place where everyone feels comfortable asking and answering questions. Ideally, when a mom posts a question in Answers, she'll get responses from other moms that address the question she's asking.

[While debates around hot topics are welcomed and encouraged, personal attacks are not. We want everyone to feel comfortable debating their point of view about any topic without being personally attacked for their beliefs.]

With that in mind, we have removed several answers from this question because they were personally attacking other members instead of discussing the original post.

<>The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 12:28 AM on Nov. 4, 2009