Weight gain advice, please!

I need advice on how to gain weight. (Never thought I'd say that!)

I'm 20 weeks today and I've only gained 4 pounds. My doctor says I should have gained atleast 10 pounds by this point. I don't have a very big appetite, except for sweets. And I did have a lot of nausea and morning sickness in my first trimester. I just don't see how I'm not packing on pounds with all the junk I eat. HELP!

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 4:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Are you eating enough protein and are you dehydrated? (might explain your craving for sweets)
    Make sure you are making smart choices. Your baby is counting on you so he/she can grow a spinal column and organs and all-- every nutrient counts!
    If you're getting the right nutrients it can curb those cravings and may help to adjust your habits overall. You might get a better overall weight gain when things are falling into place.
    How many grams of protein are you eating? 50? 75? More?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• your fine
    Anonymous

• I'm not fine if my doctor says I'm underweight.
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 5:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Yes you are fine! There is no set weight that you should or shouldnt gain during pregnancy. I am 29 weeks and at my 27 week appt I had only gained 3 pounds and my doc wasnt worried at all. And during my first 2 pregnancies I didnt gain a single pound (I was -9 pounds and -11 pounds when I delivered) and my doc said I was fine then too.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• And I have NEVER heard of a doc that would expect a 10 pound weight gain by 20 weeks!! That sounds crazy to me
    Jaydin_Makenna

• i was 100lbs when pregnant with my first. when i had my c-section to have her i was only 116lbs dr never said anything about my weight. she was small but so was i when i was born. when i was born i was 4lbs 11oz and my daughter was 5lbs 9oz. i am pregnant with number 2 now and i weighed 134lbs i have gained two pounds now. but havent been to dr yet they cant get me in till Dec. so i guess to each there own. U want to gain eat more.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I will be 20 weeks friday, and I was 190 before I got prego, and today I was 180 at my dr visit. I eat plenty, everything healthy. Sweets don't even appeal to me right now, but she said that my weight loss is ok. I think as long as you have enought weight on you right now, and started with a good amount, then you shouldn't worry too much. If you loose like 15 pounds in 1 month though, thats something to be concerned about.
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I gained 50 pounds with my first daughter.
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 11:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I gained a lot of weight with my son and I lost weight most of my pregnancy with my daughter. I ended up with a 5lb weight gain but my daughter weighed almost 7 lbs when she was born so I really didn't gain any. I ended up weighing less then before I got pregnant! It happens. Just make sure you eat healthy.
    BrTupac

Answer by BrTupac at 3:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2009