My 19 month old son is on xopenex because with albuterol it was

making him cough alot after the treatment anybody else with this problem????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What are those meds for?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My DD is on Xopenex and it helps her a ton. Albuterol was not good news for her...she'd cough and throw up after every treatment!!
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I was told that coughing after the albuterol treatment was expected and it meant the treatment was working. The albuterol reduces swelling in the lungs which frees the mucus. The coughing then gets the freed mucus out of the lungs. Mine daughter always sounded worse after the treatments, but a quick listen by the doc of her lungs said the wheezing was very much improved.
    Anonymous

• blueliner -- not sure about xopenex, but albuterol is an inhaled steroid that helps open the lungs. It's a fairly common breathing treatment and can be used for such things as asthma and broncitiis.

My daughter never threw up after treatments! I can see where this coudl be too much, or too high of a dose and affect the little ones. I did notice she was a bit aggressive after threatments, due to it being a steroid.
    Anonymous

• Some coughing after albuterol is expected. It opens the airways so they CAN cough the crap out. If it's extreme and making them vomit from the coughing, I can understand why it would be changed.

Mine are on Pulmicort twice a day (makes them ANGRY until they get used to it each time) and albuterol as needed. It gives them the shakes.
    Anonymous

• My son has the Pulmicort (he's nearly 4) when Xopenex doesn't do the trick. When working with kids on Albuterol, they all coughed after a dose. I like the Xopenex because its not adrenaline based so he doesn't go crazy. LOL
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 6:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My DD has Xopenex when we need to use the neb, she just was to hyped up on albuterol.
    LizaJayne

Answer by LizaJayne at 7:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My 20mo. old is on Pulmicort and uses Xopenex only when he's coughing. We have to use Pulmicort everyday throughout the winter.
    gr8pcrush

Answer by gr8pcrush at 11:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2009