i've heard of pooping/farting during labor, but doing it during contractions on the way to the hospital?

My friend told me last night that her contractions were so bad she shit her pants walking in the hospital to L&D.

I am not prepared to poop myself while checking into my room.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had gas REALLY bad when I was in labor from her moving down and all the pressure but I was scared to death that I might poop bc I had read and seen on tv that it happens...I didn't have the "urge" until I was like right there getting close to pushing. You may wanna try to use the bathroom if you can before you leave for the hospital?
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I have NEVER heard of pooping/farting from contractions, with my DD I poop while pushing her out and from what I was told most women do when they PUSH, its not from the contractions at all.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 5:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I can see that happening. When I am attending births it happens a lot, no big deal.
    It's not from it hurting so bad, it is from the baby descending. Baby is so big he/she presses anything below on out.
    I suppose you should expect it~ part of birth preparation. ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• yay! something else to really excite me for labor & delivery. not!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 5:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• thank you. that made me very scared thinking i would poop my pants walking in the hospital doors.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• With the births I usually witness, the mom is naked and often in a birth tub. In the hospital, she gets out and goes to the bathroom a lot (mostly for privacy).
    But sitting on the toilet is really nice in labor~ you'll see! ;-P
    *It's excellent to help mom relax her bottom-- essential for birth progress.

But if you're coming into the hospital in your clothes, not relaxed, and not pushing it's a billion to one you're going to poo right then and there.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2009