My daughter in Kindergarten says her teacher hits her and other kids in her class

I noticed that my daughter in Kindergarten seems really afraid of her teacher. She used to love her Pre-K teacher so I started asking some questions. After her crying she told me her teacher is mean and hits her and other kids in her class. She begged me not to tell her teacher what she said because she will be mad at her for telling. I really believe her and she seems really scared of her teacher. Now that I know what is going on I am beginning to piece together some of her behavior about school and am beginning to think she is frightened of her teacher. What do I do here. I am so upset I can't even think straight. I really need some advise.

Mommyofmadsandj

Asked by Mommyofmadsandj at 5:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Id talk to other parents and the teacher. Maybe drop in unexpectadly
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• When I was in kindergarden my teacher slapped a boy for not asking to wash his hands. I think he told his mom, I told my mom too and they called the school and the teacher got fired for it. Well they suspended her that day and after thinking about it they eventually fired her. Call the highest authority in the school district and tell them about it. Maybe they will ask the other students about it... kind of like investigate it a little.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You go to the principal first thing in the morning and demand an investigation and that your child be placed in another class.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 5:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Make a call tonight if possible to the school principal, also make unexpected trips to the school. I would also call school board members and mention your concern. If this is the case, it needs to be stopped immediately. take your child to school tomorrow and sit down with the principal or school counselor and have an informal talk. I would not talk to the teacher since she would not admit this if it was happening.
    Anonymous

• Wow lady seriously. If my child said this to me Id call the principal right away. Id also call other parents and ask them to talk to their children and see what their experiences are. NOTHING would stop me from finding her and killing her on the spot if I was told this
    Anonymous

• I think you definitely need to take her claims seriously; too often, small children are thought to be lying or making up stories, when really they're telling the truth. I would call other parents, and ask them how their kids feel about this teacher. If it really sounds like this teacher is abusive, then you need to make a formal complaint to the principal or headmaster. Document ANY bruising or injury that your daughter comes home with, and have other parents do the same. My daughter is only 5 months old, and she's my only child, so I really don't have a leg to stand on in your situation, but if it were me, I would be filing reports and trying to get to the bottom of it. Good luck!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• first, document everything your dd tells you, every day. That is sooo important i cannot stress it enough. Ask your dd for names of the students the teacher has hit, call those parents and tell them what your dd told you, and ask them to call you back asap speaking with their child. Second, don't call-go meet the principal right away. Tell him/her what your dd told you, and set up a meeting with the teacher asap-and i mean have her pulled out of class. Don't let the principal and teacher meet ahead of time. Don't go to the school board just yet. Go directly to the source. DON'T let the teacher or principal speak with your dd without you present (right there!).Your dd will feel interogated, and that it's her fault. you don't want that. My child had a problem with a bully in class, which lead to problems with the teacher. I wish i knew then what i know now. The actions the school took made the whole situation worse.
    Anonymous

• anon 5:50 cont.... The school repeatidly "questioned" my son, which was really interrogating and almost threatening. They even did this once in front of me, and i learned firsthand how my son felt. They did a lot without telling me and without my knowledge.
    Anonymous

• Geeezzzzz what if your kid is lying and you ruing the teachers career, no one seems to understand that once and accusation is made, it doesn't go away. And it is not you parents finding her guilty, after the accusation is made she has to prove she is innocence. Does you kid have any bruises or marks? When ever I get a new baby sitter, i set up the video camera in the entertainment center, between the book cases and the tv console, and i put a baby monitor under the sofa and I take on evening off work and park a mile away and sit at the neighbors and listen to the baby monitor for a while, be creative you'll think of something!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 6:07 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• ask your dd to explain and show your exactly what she means. role play. have her be the teacher, and some stuffed animals be the students (maybe you be a student too?). Don't get upset, just listen, ask non-leading questions.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2009