Another question on potty training!

i have a 17 month who pulls at his diper and goes into the bathroom and very interested and also goes to one spot to do the serious stuff..anyway i dont think he completely ready but he s a big boy and already in 6 size dipers an wears pulls at night because reagular dipers wherent holding up. i was wondering what can i do to that well keep the process going and *cross my fingers* possible make it happen faster lol i dont want to start till he s ready but what to see what i can do to get him started on that road since he s gettin curious about it

kmccauley

Asked by kmccauley at 5:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• start putting him on the potty. if you see him running to his "spot" make a big deal about the potty and see if he'll go on it. if he does, give him a reward. if he doesn't want to, then try to get him to sit on the potty with his diaper on, just for him to get used to it. if he does go in his diaper, don't make a deal about it, just while you're changing his butt talk to him about the potty, if he lets you, even if he doesn't have to go, just sit him on it for just a few minutes.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I hope you can do it, but my son was 2 and a half before he was potty trained, we used to put cheerios in the potty and have him try to aim at them, he loved it! I gave him a couple of m & m's every time he let me know when he wanted to play the game! I wish you luck, but have found starting early causes you and them stress, but some kids are ready early, just very unusual for a boy! Good luck momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• He's still very young to potty train but that doesn't mean you can't try. You can certainly give him every opportunity to use the potty but I'd keep him in diapers for now.

A note on the diapers: Huggies Overnight diapers are excellent, worth the extra money, and do come in a size 6 (although you may have to go to Babies R Us to get them). Pampers also does make a size 7 diaper I believe.
    We use generic diapers during the day (love Target brand) and Huggies at night. The boys will be three in a couple of weeks and we're just working on training now. They showed signs starting around 18 mos but really weren't truly ready to train until now.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• If he has a spot, I'd consider putting a potty in it. It's temporary, but since he's young, worth a shot. It is possible to potty train before 2. My daughter pulled it off (with 12 hours to go before she turned 2, lol). Put one in the bathroom, too, and take him to that more often. But initially, if he gets used to a potty, then heads to his spot and sees one, he's more likely to think about it and attempt to use it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• thank you for all the tips!
    kmccauley

Answer by kmccauley at 11:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2009