How do I get the smoke smell out of a stuffed toy that can't be put into the washer?

A friend who smokes in her home gave my son a teddy bear that plays music. I don't want to throw it away but clearly I can't just toss it in the washer. Will the smoke smell eventually go away? Any ideas?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 5:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Spray it with white vinegar, sprinkle baking soda and sprinkle with more vinegar. Vacuum when dry.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Febreeze and air it out in the sun. That might help.
    table4six

Answer by table4six at 5:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• It might eventually go away on it's own, but I would try some febreze on it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Spray it with Febreeze until it is literally soaked. Let it dry outside in direct sunlight.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I like the first response. Let that bear get some air...then spray it down...maybe before and after. lol
    Anonymous

• throw it in the dryer with a dryer sheet try that. personally i'd throw it away.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 5:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Does it have any washing instructions? Generally they tell you to take a soapy wash cloth to the outer materials. For more suggestions: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070825151726AAVuO90
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I've done this with stuffed things that had moldy smells to them. Get a zip bag big enough to hold the bear....put it in there with powdered borax and baking soda. Let it sit there for a week or so, that should be long enough to absorb the odors, if not....shake the powders out and start a new batch.

I'd be leery of using febreeze too much if it's going to be played with, but that's just a thought.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I would definitely let it be in the fresh air outside!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• All of the above answers are right on track. I doubt you will ever get rid of all the smoke smell but can greatly improve it. After you have Febreezed and allowed to be in sunlight and fresh air, give it some time in the freezer as well, at least overnight. Helps kill germs and will kill some more of the odors, but not all.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 8:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2009