Uterine ablation?

Hi Ladies, I did a search on this subject to see if I could find the answer to this question but I could not find this specific info. Sorry in advance it's so long: My situation is that I have multiple fibroid tumors that grow & shrink through out my cycle, sometimes causing more trouble than others. I see my ob regularly and have ultrasounds etc. I had a d & c a couple of yrs ago but afterwards I bled for almost three months, became anemic. This was worse than dealing w/the HEAVY flow and LARGE clots that I struggle w/monthly! I went on Birth Control Pills to "regulate my cycle" and have just been dealing w/the heaviness and clotting monthly. My next option according to my dr is "uterine ablation" where they burn the lining of your uterus. My question is, won't the fibroids just grow back like they did after the d & c? And what's to say that I won't bleed non stop after the procedure like I did last time? Advice? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Health

• I just had HTA done (hydrothermal ablation) three weeks ago, although not for fibroids. I researched a lot before I had it done and found that people who have fibroids have mixed results with EA. While I think it could be worth a shot, especially since the procedure itself is a breeze, I'm not sure what long term results you could expect personally, but I did find this article about HTA and fibroids: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CYD/is_21_40/ai_n15890395/  HTA seems to have better results with fibroids than something like Novasure.  I was put under general for mine, and my doctor did a hysteroscopy, uterine biopsy, and D&C along with the ablation.  I was under for about half an hour, woke up feeling fantastic, and only had pain the first day. 

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2009