How would you deal with a situation like this?

What would you do if

You had a teenaged brother or sister that was at the fresh age of 13. You take him/her into your home because your mother is working two jobs and the second job is a job that is over night shifts so that sibling of yours never see's that parent until the next morning when it is time to go to school. Not to mention that the parent is living with their own parent in a very bad neighborhood and while this parent is at work, the child is doing things with people that they should not be doing. You take that child in because you do not want them to fall through the cracks and become another statistic.
You are on assistance so of course you need to let them know that you have taken your sibling in and you give them all of your information.. You get that sibling of yours into school and everything else that they are supposed to be in.. and yet... months later... You find out they arent added to your lease.

Pooobaihr

Asked by Pooobaihr at 6:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Your apt lease?
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 6:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Is this a question o possible eviction or an issue o causing problems with your assistance? Those are the only reasons I would be concerned.
    ysmeine

Answer by ysmeine at 8:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I can answer this question from the stand point of a manager for low income housing. As you are on assistance, I am going to assume you are in low income housing, if this is incorrect I sincerely apologize and don't mean to make a generalization here.

I manged LIH for a few years. I can tell you right now that if they are not on your lease and the manager finds out, you will be evicted. Period.

The best thing to do is go into their office and just talk to them. Most people in that position are there because they want to, sincerely want to, help people.

If you go in and fess up, they are more likely to go to bat for you than if they find out from the school. And believe me, if they have any inkling that you have someone else living in your home that is not on your lease - they've already contacted the school.

Talk to them. Be honest! That is your best bet. They really will want to help! Good luck!
    bikerchick1975

Answer by bikerchick1975 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I am lost, what do you mean they are not added to your lease???

If I am correct the landlord can't kick you out, because it is a child.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Can't you just add the sibling to the lease by making a revision to it? Sometimes it has to do with homeowners insurance policy. Since the sibling is a minor, it should not be a problem.
    Anonymous

• I was told that you don't need to be on a lease if you're under 18.
    takula

Answer by takula at 10:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2009