Does anyone know how to get rid of dirt-like stains on an old-style enamel tub?

I tell ya...my arm is so tired from scrubbing that sucker. I've tried vinegar, baking soda, vinegar AND baking soda, and finally Comet...and I just can't get it off. The stains are on the bottom of the tub in the shape of one of those suction-cup slip-resistant bath mats. I guess whoever lived here before me didn't clean under it. The comet has worked on all the other stains in the tub except these. Gross.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• solution called WEB...it really works.
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Magic erasor. It works really good in to tub. dont know how but it does.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 7:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• If those don't work, you can go to a home center or plumbing supply shop and buy emory paper--it's really, really fine sandpaper, which you can use to remove the thinnest possible layer of stained enamel. If you go this route, you want to use it SPARINGLY, since you can only use it a few times in the life of a tub.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I have an old claw foot tub that has the outlines of previous owners stickers as well. Nothing ever really got it out, but they have a tub glaze refinisher you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot for about $40, makes the old tub shiny and new and removes all that. My 50+ year old claw foot tub looks brand spanking new now!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Try goo gone. If that doesn't work, try peroxide.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:40 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• A-jax, I still use it. It's easy just add enough water not to scratch, It works, promise
    skrush

Answer by skrush at 1:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2009