Christians, why doesn't God protect the innocent?

What comes to your mind when you hear of say, a baby being raped or brutalized or abused, especially for a lenghthy period of time? What kind of reasoning do you come up with in your own mind?

I am not religious and I am wondering how this type of thing sits with other people. I do not understand how a loving God could sit back and do nothing while there was a Baby Brianna or other helpless child. If God is all powerful and he could do something, then, why would he do nothing? To me that's like the bystanders on the street who watch someone get stabbed to death, not calling the police or stepping in to help. And that makes God less moral than most people I know.

Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Maybe people attract what happens to them and kharma sets in. To answer your question, if someone does something really horrible in their past life, then maybe they are given a fair punishment in their next life. Life experiences teach a spiritual lesson. This probably isn't a normal Christian response, but you asked why God allows it. God allows it because it is a part of their spiritual plan. We are all punished in different ways because of the life we lead. The sooner you accept Jesus, you will no longer have to endure these punishments. I believe in universal salvation and reincarnation if you don't get your life right the first time.
    Anonymous

• anon...so are you saying children attract child abusers and deserve it?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• because god is fictional. in the most earliest records of humans our god or bible didn't even exists or at least the one we know today. & the anon doesn't make sense how can god punish a baby for the life they lead? I also don't get if god knows everything you will do or you are hear for a reason then why be punished if he wanted you here to help? & the anon makes no sense again about the "if you were bad in a past life then you must live again to get punished" i thought that's what hell is for? Or maybe they have some different religion which don't get me wrong even though I strongly disagree it's there right... but you should believe in yourself & accept that there are psychos out there and for good to exists there has to be bad.
    Anonymous

• What comes to mind is SIN. It is our sins that hurt people!!! Not God. If God was to get rid of all evil He would have to destroy ALL people because we are ALL responsible for hurting other people. People want to blame God for human suffering but it is our fault.

What does God do when He sees an innocent person hurt? He cries and He judges. Just because you don't see Him doing something today, doesn't mean He won't judge it. The wicked will be punished.

And it is important to remember that God can understand what it is like to innocently suffer. Jesus came off His throne in heaven, lived a sinless life, and was tortured beyond description and crucified. He bore our sins on the cross. Every wicked thing, all our sins were laid upon Him as He hung there. He felt it all.

So our hope is not in a life free of suffering here, but a hope of life free of suffering for eternity through faith in Him.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• God crying doesn't stop a baby being burned by cigarette butts everyday or some other equally horrible thing. If sin exists then God created it. After all, he created everything that is, right?
    Anonymous

• Anonymous
    God crying doesn't stop a baby being burned by cigarette butts everyday or some other equally horrible thing. If sin exists then God created it. After all, he created everything that is, right?

And maybe if there wasn't so many people saying there isn't a God...then maybe there would be more people fearing God.....and not doing such terrible things.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately, we can use our free will for both good and bad. A child being hurt is the result of someone else exerting their free will in a horrible way upon that child. It is NOT a punishment upon the child for something they did in a past life which isn't a biblical belief at all. These kinds of scenarios do not sit well with me either and were a hindrance in me becoming a Christian. I don't have any answer that will be satisfactory to you, all I can speak from is my personal experiences and those of people close to me. I've been the abused innocent and so have some of the people that I love most in this world. My beliefs are that the evildoer will be punished, if not in this life, then by burning in Hell in the afterlife. God didn't "create" evil, but evil is the absence of God, like darkness is the absence of light or cold is the absence of heat.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• anon5:50: How HORRIBLE that you would say God is punishing an INNOCENT child for some sin or reason. That is WRONG and MEAN.

It is not that God isn't protecting these innocent children or people for that matter, He gave us free will and some people chose to use that free will to do harm. Doesn't make it right, but it happens. God takes some of those children and people to Heaven so they aren't hurting anymore and can help other children in Heaven. He is NOT punishing anyone though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• The Christian thing to say would be it is the Devil to blame. My personal opinion is that God gave us free will and with that he can not interfere no matter what pain he is caused by it. Does God want to allow these things to happen doubtfully, however this is the price of free will. All Freedom comes with a price and has it's good and bad. I it right or good no that is why it is a sin, and illegal. God gave us our gift of free will at a great cost to himself. The cost of having to sit back with out interference until the after life. I do hold strong that god will punish those who do such things with all his might and scorn.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Why is saying the devil is to blame the "Christian" thing to do, Hot-mama? The Christians I know don't cry "the devil made me do it" at every turn. It seems like all the Christians that responded are in agreement that it is a matter of free will and you are right, that gift comes with a price. God has made the choice to stand back and let us exercise that free will whether we choose to use it for good or evil.
    Anonymous