Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I go back to the Catholic Church?

I was raised Catholic, and now I think that's where I belong. Does anyone have experience with RCIA?

Answer Question

Asked by prettyrayray at 6:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 3 (16 Credits)
Answers (27)
  • I am most likely not the best help. were you baptised? receive your first Holy Communion? If so just show up for Mass!

    I would recommend the RCIA classes as well for two reasons. One it will help reacquaint you with the church and two, you will meet other members of the church.

    Answer by Kattykitten at 6:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • How far did you get with your sacraments? If you recieved confirmation then all you need to do to come back into communion is go to confession.

    I went through RCIA in 2007. I really enjoyed it. Anything specific that you want to know?

    Answer by ave.maria. at 7:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • All you have to do is go back! Find a church you feel comfortable in and talk to the priest about RCIA classes. They are not mandartory, especially if you already made your sacraments. I go through spurts of church going and haven't had to take any classes to do so.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • If you recieved all your sacarements then all you have to do is go to confession and tell the priest how long you were away from church. Once he absolves you from your sins they you can recivie communion and it will be like you never were away from the church.

    Answer by seashore29 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • the priest does not absovle you of your sins...

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • I went through confirmation actually. I did not get married in the Catholic church. My mom said all I have to do is go back.

    Answer by prettyrayray at 10:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • Oh yeah, she said I have to go to confession too. But then I can get communion. :)

    Answer by prettyrayray at 10:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • all you have to do is go this Sunday. You really should talk to the priest because it will help you feel more comfortable. You are suppose to go to confession before you take your first communion, and this can be done when you talk to your priest. If you don't go to confession, nobody is going to police the communion line and call you out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • If you're a Catholic married outside the church you should have your marriage convalidated (blessed) by the church. It's a wonderful opportunity for you to repeat your vows in front of God - and it can be as simple or as elaborate as you want. Receiving the sacrament of Reconciliation and talking with a priest are a great first step - but you can start attending Mass right away (but you should wait to receive Holy Communion until you've spoken with a priest).


    Answer by eringobrough at 10:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • RCIA can be helpful for some Catholics. There's also a progarm called "Catholics Returning Home" (CRH) that some parishes offer - check the website of your dioceses or church to see. And there are a few websites - Catholics Come Home and Once Catholic - that are geared towards those interested in returning to the Catholic faith.


    Answer by eringobrough at 10:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.