How would you have reacted to this happening to your child?

We were all at the park (husband, me, daughter and son) my son was climbing up a rope ladder and my husband was standing next to them and they were talking, my son reached the top and a boy who was already on the playset walked up and slapped my son in the face.

My son is almost three and the boy seemed to be maybe a few months younger.

Well my husband yelled at the kid (he said "don't you touch him again") and the mom came over and said "what happened?" We told her and all she said was "Oh, Simon". And that was it. No time out, no consequence.

My children have never done anything like that before and if they did, you better believe they would be made to say sorry and they would be removed from the playground.

presleyfan1

Asked by presleyfan1 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I probably would have given her dirty looks and mumbled a few things that i know she would hear.

my sons and i were at the park the other day and DS1 has behavior problems. He hit one of the kids they were playing with and i know the other parent watched me talk to my son but i know she couldn't hear me. But i told him if he hit anyone again that we would leave and he'd be in trouble for the rest of the day. ...He was good for the rest of the time. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I wouldve slapped the mom, and had my husband say, "oh darling." and walk away.
    Anonymous

• lmao anon!
    that would be hilarious ...but unfortunately that's not setting a good example for your own children.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• lets be serious we can't say what we would do until we are in that situation, i highly doubt anon that your gonna slap the mom and walk away. i know that when my 3 year old was at a school function for his brother and pushed over a younger child, i picked him up and removed him from the situation, i appolgized to the mother later (i kinda forgot in the moment) and my son wasn't able to stay and play. Unfortunatley not everyone pays attention to their childs behiavior in those settings and even then not everyone deals with it in an way we would like. I am sorry your little man got slapped, i would have been upset as well.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 7:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Wonder where he learned it> My DS has been bullied before, and I say shrug it off and don't worry!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I've been in situations where my husband and I took our son 2yrs to mcdonalds so he could get out of the blistering heat and still run around and play.

had a couple older kids start picking him up and dropping him and pushing him around...the parents weren't paying attention so my husband went over and told them to be careful because hes little(they were around 5) and to stop.

He picked my son up and brought him to a different area.

sometimes all you can do is seperate your child from other that are causing problems
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Wonder where he learned it

-----

Funny you say that because I taught preschool for some years and slapping was not common thing. I think a child would have to see someone be slapped or be slapped himself to do that, maybe I'm wrong but that's not usually something you see.
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• "lets be serious we can't say what we would do until we are in that situation, i highly doubt anon that your gonna slap the mom and walk away."

Oh lighten up! It was obviously a joke.
    Anonymous

• LOL @ anon haha I don't know why I laughed at that. Well I wouldn't be upset about it....my son has gotten treated crappy on the playground and for some reason I don't care how the parents handle it, half of them are no where to be found anyways.
    Anonymous

• Id have given a dirty look and then taken my child to the side and explained that what happened was wrong and I was sorry it happened to him but to ignore that child and enjoy his remaining time without a second thought to nasty people.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2009