Breastfeeding Moms - How do you tell if your baby is "just crying" or wants to nurse?

My baby seems to be a "rester" when it comes to nursing... he'll nurse for 3-10 minutes then fall asleep. When I move him to lay down he wakes up again. And of course I nurse him... But sometimes when he cries I think I should just think he's being fussy about something else instead of always thinking he wants to nurse. How often do you/did you nurse your baby throughout the day? (He's 2 weeks old right now)

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 7:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For a baby that young watch for him to root around at he cries. Put your hand on his cheek and if he calms down crying looking for your nipple (as opposed to just continuing to cry- at his age he will turn his head toward your hand) then feed him.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• At that age, I pretty much nursed whenever he was fussy. It's good to encourage supply, and I don't mind comfort nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• i had the same problem.. what i started doing was giving my baby her pacifier bc somtimes they just want somthing to suck on.. and once she kept spittin it out and still crying i knew it was bc she was hungry..
    MylilLondon

Answer by MylilLondon at 7:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• When my son was that age he ate on average about every two hours. Sometimes he would stretch to three or four and other times he would be hungry again in an hour. He would start turning his face into the chest of whoever was holding him "rooting" or he would start sucking or gumming his hands, sometimes he would just start to suck with his lips and there were a couple of times when he'd gotten really hungry when he would start sucking on any exposed flesh he could find, his or someone elses, and leave a hickey! If he was fussy near a feeding time I would try to nurse him. If he was hungry he would nurse, if he wasn't he wouldn't. He never took a paci. For my friends that had paci-babies, they would keep spitting it out when they were hungry...
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2009