My daughter is a few months old and has a cough, it wakes her in the middle of the night. Obviously I can't give her medicine, but the dr suggested I elevate the mattress on one side with towels underneath to make it on an incline. Thoughts????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use to put my babies in a swing to help them sleep when they were sick. B/c its a natural incline and the rocking always helped mine sleep better anyways.

But they only slept there when they were sick ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• She would probably sleep better if the mattress was inclined, because when I have a cold it's always worse when I lay down flat. I think it's a good idea. I would also get a cool mist humidifier for her room as well.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I did add a humidifier. Two questions with that: do I only use it when she is congested/coughing? Or do I use it every night during the fall/winter? Also, it is on the opposite side of her room, should I move it closer to the crib?? I feel like the mist isn't going to make it across to her.

I know this sounds dumb, but i am so LOST!! I appreciate any help you can give. Thank you in advance.
    Anonymous

• I would also suggest a humidifier. If you don't have one and it isn't in the budget, go sit in the bathroom with her a few times a day and hold her while you run the shower water as hot as it will go to get the bathroom all steamy.

The moisture will spread throughout the room, you don't want it right over her or she may get damp and cold. Also, make sure you have a bulb syringe close by!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 8:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I would use it throughout the season.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I love the cool mist vaporizor and use it every time my babies have a cough. You do need to move it closer. Move it close enough that she'll benefit from the mist, but make sure it's not close enough to make her wet during the night. Just use it every time your baby has a cough.

Your post didn't say if this is a long term cough or an illness. If this is a long term cough, it could be due to acid reflux, which would mean you'd need your pediatrician to write a prescription for children's Zantac.

If it's a long term cough and it only occurs when your baby is lying down, ask your pediatrician if he thinks it could be acid reflux.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I have done that for my son and he sleeps fine and he also has a humidifier and I use it every night .. my son's is next to his crib but it really doesn't have to be unless the congestion is really bad the air will travel and help her. I also have when he is sick johnsons baby vapor bath and a vapor plug in for his room and i heard an old wives tale to put vicks on the babies feet and put socks on and for whatever reason.. it has worked for my son.. plus i also put a little on his chest.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2009