Breastmilk and Nyquil?

I have a terrible cold. Am I aloud to use Nyquil if I am breastfeeding? Does anyone know?

cantwait071909

Asked by cantwait071909 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 8:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• It's not on my doctor's list of meds that are ok while BF. You can take Zertec for drainage, Robitussin (original plain version) for the cough, Suddafed for the stuffy head and even Mucinex for the congestion. But most of those cold medicines with a bunch of stuff combined in one you are supposed to stay away from.

You can call your OB's office for a suggestion of BFing friendly meds.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I'd have to say no, but that's just me, not a doctor. Call your OB in the morning to ask what you can take, as opinions differ from person to person.
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Check www.kellymom.com and keep in mind that anything that can dry your sinuses can also dry your milk some so if you have supply issues stay away from all of it. Personally I would try doing a nasal flush once or twice a day and drink some chamomile tea with honey.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2009