Has anyones kids had the swine flu? Have questions...

My son has been with a fever and cough since Thurs today is Tues, fever has ranged from 99-102 tonight with 102. It seems tonight is actually worse then past nights. I dont know what to do. We had gone to the DR Sun and they said he had strep but didnt test for it, gave us amoxcillian and sent us on our way. 3 days past, and no improvement, I called our pedatrician and they said its swine flu that everyone has it and my sons school is flooded with it, when will the fevers stop and the coughing subside?

The coughing is aweful.I feel so bad for him, this is our 5th day with fever and coughing.

bullynj

Asked by bullynj at 8:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Both my children had the swine flu. The fever usual goes away in 5 or 6 days. The cough however can last for 6 weeks. It is awful. The best thing you can do is alternate between motrin and tylenol, use a humidifier, and have them drink plenty of fluids. Also if the are not sleeping call your doctor and get them to prescribe a cough medicine. I would definately monitor the fever, it seems pretty high for it being the 5th day. My kids both usually had fevers at night time. Good luck it is very hard. I hope your child feels better. Oh and if they won't drink. Popsicles are great!
    sunkaye

Answer by sunkaye at 8:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Hes so picky about food and drinking and hes got ASD so he doesnt talk its so hard to find out what is hurting :( Im running low on Motrin and tylenol. last night we thought the fever broek he swet alot then this morning woke up and had no fever, its the first nite we went 12 hrs with no need for fever meds, then around 1 it came back at 99.5 - then tonight around 530 it came back at 102 its every 4 hrs its peaking, he fell asleep around 6 and has been sleeping ever sincei ts 840 now, hes sweating again right now but moaning in bed as if hes saying please make the pain go away :(

The media freaks you out and Im paranoid, did you get it from your kids?
    bullynj

Answer by bullynj at 8:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't bring the fever down. You are only prolonging the illness by disrupting the body from killing the virus.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I did end up having it, but not as bad. Actual the swine flu is not what is bad it is the normal flu that is the worst or at least that is what the doctors told me. My son did the same thing. The fever will pass, and my son did moan. It is frustrating, but he woke up the next day with the fever down and it went up again that night, that lasted for 3 days. The fever is trying to break. You sound like you are doing the right things, just stay calm, that is the best thing to do. I know it is hard I worried at first too, hang in there and make sure you wash your hands and try to have him cover his mouth when he coughs. All you can do is keep on top of the motrin and tylenol and try to prop up the bed or him. I put two phone books on on each corner of the box spring to elevate the bed. Helped with the breathing and moaning. The worst is almost over. My husband was lucky and did not get it.
    sunkaye

Answer by sunkaye at 11:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2009