So I went to my dr. appt today...

last time was 6 days ago...I was 1.5 cm dilated and had my membranes stripped...hurt like hell (38weeks)

this time Im 2.5cm dilated and had my membranes stripped again, not as bad as last time...just had a huge contraction (39 weeks)

I asked my doctor how long will they let me stay pregnant...he said 1 week past my due date...so 41 weeks
well he said the baby doesnt seem to have dropped yet, but he could feel his head at my 38 weeks appt...weird?

anyway...I really dont want to do the whole pitocin thing, and I know I have made progress but like he and everyone says It could stilll be weeks, and I know I have 2 weeks until they will induce but I dont want the pitocin drip...Ive heard its worse than natural labor pains.

So any SAFE at home potential induction methods I can try?
I heard that the blue and black cohosh is not safe and im wondering why as well

Thanks ladies

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 8:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yeah, agreed with anon. I had the pitocin plus an epidural at 5 cm. It was hard in the sense that I had to lay in bed once the epidural was put in.. I assume you are wanting a delivery free from medication... I also assume this is your first? You have control over your delivery. You don't have to listen to your doctor about doing the induction. I would suggest scheduling an induction for the end of the 41st week. You'll probably go into natural labor beforehand anyway. That way you 1-have piece of mind and 2-protect your baby from issues that occur from being in the womb too long.

By the way, why do people have their membranes stripped?? That sounds awful.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 9:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• walk. sex. haha. thats what i did. i ended up being 5 days after my edd, and had the pitocin. i didnt want it, and i told them not to give it to me-but i was the patient, i didnt know what i was talking about. *rolls eyes* make sure u stick to ur beliefs. When the baby and you are ready, you will go into labor. You dont need the pitocin to help nature along.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Wow. Let your baby come naturally! I think your doctor is being way too invasive when you're only 39 weeks! You actually have to be at 42 weeks before they even induce you! I wouldn't be letting my doctor do such invasive procedures....
    In answer to the actual question: You can have sex... Semen is the greatest (umm, highest;-) source of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins cause the cervix to "ripen", or soften and prepare to open. (Which might not make a difference since you're already dilated)
    This is the safety protocol for blue/black cohosh use:
    * Take 10-15 tinctures of the blue every hour.
    * Then take 5-10 of the black cohosh every half and hour.
    * Do this until labor starts, or for one full day.
    * Take a rest the next day and try again on the third day.

Your best bet is to BUY the tincture- considering the careful preparation needed. I assume the "debate" over it is the alcohol in the tincture.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Oh, and the alcohol level in the tincture relative to the amount you'll be taking is REALLY low- no more than in a cough syrup.
    I'm sorry if my first post came off as pushy or rude... I didn't mean for it to!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I know you probably don't want to hear this but I was induced and it really wasn't all that bad. The pitocin does make things harder but it goes by sooooo fast. Especially if you plan on having an epidural its cake.
    Anonymous

• oh, stripping the membranes, from my docs POV, helps jump start contractions and then there is some chemical that is released that helps the labor process

he also said my cervix is "great" so he doubts the baby will be in there much longer, but as we all know baby will come when baby is ready...LOL

the 41 weeks is due to my insurance...and my insurance dictates what the hospital does and the doctors...its all the same company
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2009