MRI with sedation, what to expect?

My 3 month old has to have an MRI with sedation on Thursday. I'm a nurse, so I know about the MRI itself, what I am wondering is how long I can expect him to be in recovery, and should I have a family member go with me (how much will this stress me out). Anyone who has been through this please let me know.

KatiB

Asked by KatiB at 8:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Health

• My daughter had one at 6 months or so and it was a little scary because even sleeping she'd never been that limp and sometimes they breath erratically and it's frightening. There was a guy with an oxygen mask right there on hand and we were also in the room. They warned us about the breathing, but the limp thing.. I wasn't prepared for. Recovery wasn't too bad, she cried when she came to, but I hugged her and she was okay. I clipped her nails while I was waiting.
    Good luck and I hope the MRI clears him of any medical problems you are screening for.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My little guy had a hard time going down with the chloral hydrate. Took 2 doses. They told me he would be down for HOURS since he needed the second dose but he was awake within 15 minutes of it being over. They said that they like them to be awake for an hour, then get water, and if that stays down, they get a bottle after that. My little guy has issues gaining weight that he had a bottle of high cal formula in his mouth within 30 min of waking up. Waiting for him to go to sleep was the most stressful part but the actual MRI part went pretty quick. I brought a coffee, some magazines, and the baby's favorite blanket with me as they said we would be there for 3-5 hours. We were in an out at 3 hours and that was taking into consideration how long it took for him to go down and the time we waited for the baby in front of us to get done so we could get the "cozy room".
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2009