h1n1 vaccine question.

The local Dept of health is giving h1n1 vaccines at 6 yo ds' school. I was going to get him the shot, because it is a dead virus. Today I got a call from the school, and they now don't have the shot, only the nasal spray, which is a partially live virus with the risk of actually making kids sick. I have a baby at home, and no vaccine is available to him. Now I don't know what to do. By giving all of these children a live virus, I feel like they are putting the rest of the population, including my 9 month old at higher risk. When there is no vaccine available for these people, I feel it is irresponsible to purposefully introduce this live virus to the school population. I am not saying I know all there is to know about this vaccine. This is just how I feel with the info I have. I truly don't know what to do now. Do I give my son the nasal mist, knowing that all these other kids will have it so he's gonna be exposed anyway?

jdanielle82

Asked by jdanielle82 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I believe it's 3 WEEKS... the shedding period.
    I wouldn't do it. Your son could give it to you, the baby, himself or anyone else in the house.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• What risk is there to my baby?
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• There is a SLIM chance he MIGHT catch a MILD case from the flumist.

If you don't want him to have the flumist, don't let him get it. I had to wait until my pediatrician's office received the shots (my kids have asthma and can't get the flumist).
    Anonymous

• I have heard that you can be contagious for 3 days after receiving the flumist. I know many moms who are pulling their kids out of school for the 3 days after the flu mist is being given. I can't tell you for sure, just telling you what I know others are doing!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My biggest concern is for my baby. If big brother gets a mild case, he will probably pass it to baby bro, and it may not be so minor. That is what frightens me. But If I don't give it to him and everyone else gets it, and some get mild cases, they will probably come to school, cuz it's only mild and pass it to my son, who hasn't yet been vaccinated and could have a more serious infection. LOTS of mights, mays, coulds and maybes, lol
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My ped doesn't do mist unless everyone in the famliy is getting it. We had flu at my house, coincidentally within a few days of having visitors who had JUST had the mist. Wish they had told me.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't give my son the mist....i'm waiting for the single-dose shot (that also does not contain thimerosal) to be available. In the meantime his school changed the policy on allowing students to carry hand sanitizers (they used to not allow it because of the alcohol)! He has a conainer with him and takes precautions.....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009