How do I change his sleep cycle??

My son is almost 3weeks old & has his days/nights confused. He will wake to nurse/eat every hour & a half or so at night, but will sleep 4hr chunks during the day between feedings with no problem. I've been told I just need to change his sleep cycle so that it's the opposite (sleep at night; wake during the day), but how in the world do you change a newborns sleep cycle??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can change it! The biggest thing is to expose your son to light during the day light hours and make the room dark and quiet during the night time hours. I don't think you can stop your newborn from going to sleep during the day, but like a PP said, try to limit the day time naps to two hours.
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I don't think you can at just 3 weeks. He is still getting it figured out for himself. This is very normal, just be patient and things will change. I wouldn't interfere with his sleep considering how important it is for his development right now.
    Anonymous

• I would try to wake him up and give him baths during the day. He'll switch on his own, but maybe getting him a little more active during the day will help?
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• pretty much just time. Good Luck mama, it will get itself resolved sooner or later.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• My daughter was the same way. Babys have there schedules mixed up until about 4-5 weeks. He will change and then you'll be wishing they took naps during the day lol. When your pegnant during the day your up and walking around and that soothes them to sleep and night when you go to bed and stay still they are wiiiiiiiiiiiide awake.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Wake him up during the day. We limit naps to 2 hours.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2009