How can i get my daughter to stop twirling her hair?

I think it may be a nervous habit or something she does when she's tired. she used to pull her hair when she was tired or mad.

lupalukoi

Asked by lupalukoi at 9:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a chunk of hair that no longer grows anymore because I constantly twist it and knot it up, then pull it out.. It's a condition called Traction Alopecia, the reason why my hair won't grow in that spot. Google it. It's just a habit and I did it so much that the hair won't grow. It's really short and I have to clip it with a bobby pin when I pull my hair back. It's really not good for her hair. I wish I could stop twisting my hair but it's a really bad habit.
    Anonymous

• why is it something you want to stop? My son will also twirl/pull on his hair when hes tired...doesn't bother me..just another clue that he's tired.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• They do normally grow out of it. My daughter did.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 9:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I still do this when I am tired or stressed and I am 44 years old.
    Anonymous

• The only way I ever stopped twirling my hair was when I cut it short, otherwise I always twirled when I was relaxing/tired or thinking.
    BabyDrool

Answer by BabyDrool at 9:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• It's a harmless method of self-soothing.....why would you want her to stop??
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• it has gotten to the point that she knots it up and pulls it out.
    lupalukoi

Answer by lupalukoi at 10:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• it wouldn't be a problem if she just twirled it and that was that. but she tends to do it more when she's eating and her fingers are covered with food.
    lupalukoi

Answer by lupalukoi at 10:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2009