Which one are you?

I am a Mercedes/Lexus/Lincoln car dealer. Many of my customers pay cash. Few of them dicker on the prices and usually pay the sticker price with no questions asked, Others will lease with the company I recommend at very high interest rates and carrying charges and earns me an additional kickback commission.

•I am a politician who has attracted a large constituency with my anti-drug rhetoric. I have gotten funded many anti drug and rehab programs in my community. I can pontificate feel good speeches and take the high moral ground with impunity. I generate very good looking TV sound bites against the "War on Some Drugs" .

cont...

Friday

Asked by Friday at 9:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• •I am a member of a religion the teaches that only we are of high moral character and it is our duty and destiny to bring morality to the world, by whatever means necessary. Only we know what's best for everybody else. 
    •I am an agent in DEA/FBI/CIA/ABC/XXX and am allowed to seize "suspicious" money, cars, homes, airplanes, .... or anything I think may have been involved with the drug trade. I can do it with impunity. The "War on Some Drugs" is a real power trip. 
    •I am a bank officer who has opened numerous accounts that deposit up to $9,999 in cash almost every day. 95% of that money I am legally allowed to loan or invest or ..... The "War on Some Drugs" has really added my bottom line.

•I am an employee of a jail/prison that did not exist until the quadrupling of incarcerations since 1980 because of the "War on Some Drugs".

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• •I am a bureaucrat who gets ten times the budget funding I ever got before the "War on Some Drugs" started. 
    •I am the owner of a drug rehabilitation facility that gets $20,000 a pop for a "client/patient" that has a successful "cure" rate of under 20% which means I get about $100,000 to get a person off drugs. Most/all of the money comes either insurance or government funding. It really doesn't cost you anything.  •I own a sneaker store where the sneakers can cost up to $200 a pair and the neighborhood kids come in and buy several pairs every week. 
    •I am a person who does not believe you have the intelligence or common sense to make your own decisions regarding your personal life. 

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You are the Federal Goverment?
    Anonymous

• •I am a career criminal with a history of violence. I am very glad the dope smokers have filled the jails and prisons because it means I always get out earlier because of "overcrowding". 
    •I own a jeweler store where I sell a lot of gold chains and diamond earrings for cash to drug dealers. 
    •I grow and sell marijuana and get as high as $900 a plant, maybe two or three or more times a year. And I can grow over 100 plants at a time in my garage and/or backyard. 
    •I am the owner of a massively profitable pharmaceutical company which could be badly hurt by the legalization of a potent medicine that can be grown by anyone anywhere. (Sent on by a surfer) 

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• •I am an executive in a large profitable conglomerate that owns several beer and liquor brands. I don't want marijuana to replace any of our sales. Nor do I want people to realize marijuana has fewer of the after, or less deleterious side, effects of my products.
    •I am a television/advertising executive. If you indulge in marijuana, you will probably be able to see through our balderdash. Besides, we want you to zone out on our shows, not catch a little buzz on your own. We won't be able to exploit half-truths and fabricate myths about this insidious weed on our 20/20Cops60Minutes48hoursDateline... tabloids. (from a surfer)
    •I am the owner of a privately operated state prison. The more people in prison, the more labor I have to contract out, under-bidding small business and honest labor.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• •I am a Columbian/Bolivian/Mexican/Canadian/... government official and I see how much money comes into my country from both legal "interdiction" money from the US government and how much "illegal" purchase money the drug trade brings into my country. It has become a very, very (if not the most) important "export" for us. The illegal drug trade gives us hard currency to purchase many goods on the world market.
    •I am a television programming executive. The government pays me to interject subliminal anti-drug messages into our tv shows.
    •I am the owner of a drug testing lab. Before the War on Some Drugs, my business didn't even exist. I now test my fellow citizens for illegal substances in their bloodstream, many of them in blatant violation of their fourth amendment rights. (from a surfer)

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• It may not be a "massive conspiracy" per se,
    at least according to (legal) definition,
    but you must admit there is certainly a
    "confluence of common interests".
     (From: TomTerrific - 05:06pm Oct 20, 1999 PDT (# 119 of 123) (on Salon's Table Talk)
    "A man's best friend is his dogma"

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You might also ask the following people if they want the drug war to end:

•The big-time drug dealers
    •The gun manufacturers and dealers
    •The private security guard and home security companies
    •The insurance companies, whose business would be smaller if not for all the stuff stolen or damaged by drug addicts
    •The manufacturers and sellers of all the aforementioned stuff, all of which is replaced with insurance payoffs
    •The financial services firms who handle all the complex transactions involved in "laundering" of drug dealing profits

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• •I could go on, but I think most readers see the point: a lot of wealth is being transferred from the majority of the population to the people who profit from the violence and destruction that result from the high prices that certain drugs sell for because they're illegal.
    •Incidentally, my grandfather was a bootleger, and I know how much the family fortunes took a dive when Prohibition was repealed.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• The War on (some) Drugs.

•It's gutted our Bill of Rights;   •turned police into masked, Ninja-suited terrorists;   •destroyed financial privacy;   •made the contents of our urine a matter of public concern;   •kept needed medicine from sick people;   •allowed the government to seize the property of suspects without having to prove guilt;   •given racist cops a tool to terrorize minorities;   •filled the airwaves with lying propaganda;   •caused much of the violent crime and murder in America by creating a black market in drugs;   •given gangs and violent criminals a way to make big money fast;  

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2009