School schedule

We are virtually schooling our children this year. Grades 8 and 4. Me, and both my children are not morning people so we normally begin the day around 12 and end about 5 or 6, unless they have a lesson with their teachers earlier. (They need on average 5 a day)

My DH thinks this is ridiculous and says that I am not instilling any discipline. That they will believe that the world revolves around them and their schedule when they go to work. I think that is ridiculous. Plenty of people, (Educated people too) work non traditional schedules. He also thinks that 6 is too late to be doing school work. But when they were in reg. school, they came home at 3, ate, did homework until 5 or 6, how is that any different? Am I wrong?

Lesli

Asked by Lesli at 10:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in

• my dh works a professional job and his shift is 1pm -11pm.... why couldnt they grow up to have a second shift job?? if they learn better during that time i fully support the way you are doing it, i teach and my reading group that starts at 8:00 is half asleep when i see them... at least your kids are awake (btw i dont get to make my own schedule for reading groups because there are soo many groups)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• That is not to say we wake up at noon, just when we begin school.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 10:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Well...I guess then I lack discipline because I never take a class before 11 and I am well...it's 1:34 AM here in PA and I am doing school work...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If your students and you are pleased with the schedule and getting the work done who cares when it happens? I think sticking to yours and your childrens inate body schedules are one of the best things of homeschooling.
    Jezture

Answer by Jezture at 12:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• You are teaching them discipline, they are just doing it during nontraditonal hours and there is nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of professionals that work nontraditional hours...second or third shift, weekend hours, split shifts. There are doctor's that work nights, holidays and weeknds. I work 7am-12noon and go to school afternoons and nights. Does that make me undisciplined? I don't think so. As long as they are on a schedule, they are fine. Once they go back to a regular or traditonal schedule, it may take an adjustment period but they will adjust and be fine.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2009