Would you agree to your child being babysat in the home of someone with AIDS? (not HIV positive - full blown AIDS)

My first inclination was that it was fine, its not like they will be swapping bodily fluids with my child, but then I think about cut knees, wet smooches, and all the other stuff that goes hand in hand with a small child and I feel myself less accepting of the idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Health

• if it was just a babysitter...NO

My mother was exposed to hep C in the military(she was in the medical field) and she watches my son.....the difference is that I know how careful she is about any blood being exposed (only way that it can be transmitted)

i would not put that same trust in someone that i did not know
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Your first job is to protect your child.I personally wouldn't allow that.

Anonymous

• i wouldnt allow it
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Is the babysitter the person with AIDS? If so, then no, i wouldn't. I would have doubts as to their ability to devote all their energy to my child. If it was a person who lived there with AIDS, still no. I would be afraid of my germy child bringing in an illness that would exacerbate THEIR illness.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't allow it. Someone with full blown Aids is most likely to not be feeling well enough to babysit.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 10:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• The person with AIDS is an adult child who has just recently moved back home with her mother who is the actual babysitter. She isn't THAT sick but she has crossed over from being HIV + to actual AIDS. She moved back home because she is going back to school since she chose to leave her career in the medical field.
    Anonymous

• This question is of the slippery slope variety. A babysitter is paid - usually, and I am assuming this babysitter will be paid. It is against the law to discriminate in the workforce regarding people with AIDES. My brother -in - law had AIDES as did his partner. We would invite him over, but everyone in the house had to be healthy. People with AIDES use infection control measures and a toddler with a snotty nose, or a school age child exposed to everything, and then exposing the person with AIDES is not the best scenario. Are persons with AIDES capable babysitters? You bet they are. Should they be exposed to small or school age children on a daily basis? My brother in law was very careful, and he would of said no. My brother in law, after living with HIV and then AIDES for over 20 years passed away JUNE 2009. For his health he would of said, "NO."
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I'm anon :43. As an HIV+ adult, I can say that I would have reservations for the following reasons: How careful are they with the daughter's healthcare? Any needles in the house? If so, are they disposed of properly? Is medication stored and locked away? Does the daughter have any open sores? How much contact will she have with your child? And I would have the concern about a school or daycare aged child being around me if i was ill. I was serious before, they are super germy and I wouldn't like them to make me ill...if they are careful, you really shouldn't be too concerned...I have lived with my 3 for 15 years,been pregnant with 2 of the 3, fed them, kissed them, hugged them, bathed with them...and not transmitted the virus. It's actually pretty hard to transmit. As long as some common sense is in play you should be fine. But in the end, it's about what YOU are comfortable with.
    Anonymous

• Another thing to think about: If she worked in the medical field, she likely knows how to handle all the scenarios that I mentioned above.
    Anonymous

• Of course I would. Unless the person with the disease is going to be exchanging bodily fluids with my child, there is 0 percent chance of my kids getting it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2009