My kids will be out of school for about a month due to an upcoming move...how can I prepare them?

They will be transferring schools and between schools will be about 4 weeks before I can get them in the new school. Can I home school them for that time? How can I make sure they don't fall behind?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in

• why not talk to their present teacher and ask if she can give you some worksheets and suggestions for activities and lessons for the 4 weeks.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• aaaaaaaah. let them have fun they will enjoy it. lol jk
    Butterflyluvn88

Answer by Butterflyluvn88 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• You could gather work they'd miss from their old school and let them work on it to stay up on it. Or you could home school for a while.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• don't mean to cause trouble but 4 weeks why? I moved from Germany to New Jersey and my kids missed 4 days of school. When we moved from Jersey to SC they missed 1 day due to the day we registered. Some schools have a policy that you miss more than a few days they fail. Our new district if you have more than 4 unexcused days you do not go up a grade even if your a straight A student.
    Anonymous

• you may want to contact your school systems prior to this. because I was almost arrested for planning on having my son out of school for one week when we moved to AL from MS. One school transferred records by mail, then faxed the withdrawal the same day and telephoned. The new school in AL began looking for us the first day he missed. No lie, you can be arrested for willfully leaving your child out of school even for moving. The school systems are responsible for tracking absences and it will be noticed, i guarantee you!! Needless to say, I had to have my son in school the very next day or I would have been arrested.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:36 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Contact the new school and get the materials to get them up to speed with their new classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I agree with the others that 4 weeks sounds like a really long time. Are you taking them to a year-round school and getting there when they are off track? That's the only time I can think of when being out of school for a month is the norm.

You can homeschool them to keep them current on skills. Ask the teachers they are going to what they should be learning at this point in the year.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• tell their current teachers what will happen and ask for any materials she can provide so that they dont fall behind. 4 weeks is too long to be out of school imo!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:52 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I am a teacher and I think you should contact the school system they are going to. Some school systems have extremely strick attendance policies. 20 days out of school is a long time and could cause for automatic retention or involve truancy. I know here in GA if you miss 10 days, they call truancy and 28 days is automatic retention. You should really check into, to be on the safe side for yourself.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2009