Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


i owe a coned bill for over $2300.00 for the past 2yrs. the problem is my landlord did not open the door to the meter reader and this went on for 10 months on and off. so when the meter was not read they would do a three months estimate and that bill grew, we tried paying it but always fell behind, i tried again paying it and due to the economy there was only one person employed and we couldn't anymore. will they garnish my husbands income tax or mine since we file married. i didn't work this year to file but he does. can they take the taxes? i am planning to work next month will they garnish my check they keep sending me letters telling me they are going to make me pay wether they garnish if i have a job or take my income tax and that they are going to continue to mail me letters like the one that is threatening me. what can i do about this?


Asked by raunchy46 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (-10 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • The Dept of Justice has put together a database of credit counseling/debt consolidation orgs with the DOJ stamp of approval-


    Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • in order to garnish your wages they have to take you to court.

    be prepared to demonstrate why you haven't payed the bill, and all your monthly bills to show where your money is going....goes to showing why you haven't and couldn't pay them.

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

  • Is the bill in both your names or just you or your husband? If it is in both then they can garnish your wages but if it is just in your husband's name then they can not garnish your wages. Not sure about the tax refund though. Have you tried going to the company and setting up a payment plan? For example, pay $50 a month extra on top of what you need to pay monthly?

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2009