what do i have to do to get rid of them? PLEASE HELP.

please help. we moved into this house 5 months ago and didnt know untill a month after we moved in we had fleas and they were BAD. we have 2 dogs and 2 cats. well i fogged the house twice and had it sprayed twice by pest place. i just found a flea on my cat again. i fogged twice in august and they sprayed 1st time in september and then the 2nd october. i washed the cats and dogs down and put the spot stuff on them. what do i do now? i just found another freaken flea on my cat. PLEASE HELP does this mean we still have them in the house or could it just be just the one on the cat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Pets

• We had fleas when we first moved to our current home. I used borax and poured it into the carpet and let it sit for a few hours then vacuumed it up. You have to change the bag when you do this and throw the used one away outside because the fleas can get out of the vacuum. I also got Frontline for our cat. This worked for us.

having a flea on your cat could mean they are other places, but it might not. It is helpful to get a flea comb and comb them daily for awhile. Get a glass of water with a bit of soap in it and put any fleas you comb off of them into the water so they don't just get away.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Try applying Frontline or Advantage to all your pets 3 months in a row--no skips. The first month will kill something like 80% of all the live fleas. Fleas live in your carpets and furniture, as I'm sure you know, and when they jump onto your animals' treated skin, they will die. The second month, the eggs will hatch out, but if you treat again, they will die, too. The third month is just to make sure they're really gone, because it sounds like you have a severe case. Before I was a stay-at-home mom, I was a vet tech, and this is what I always recommended, This is what I use in my own house, with my 6-year-old daughters, too, because it's safe for kids. In fact, in Europe, they use it ON kids for lice. It's not approved for that application in the US, though. This is gonna be expensive, but I'm pretty sure it'll work. Oh, and get the Advantage from a vet--non-vets aren't supposed to sell it, even though some do.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 11:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• i did put the frontline on them 3 weeks ago when the house was sprayed. i dont get how i found a live one still on my cat. i have one more left and i dont have the money for another one, they are allot of money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• with as big as our house is it will take probly 7 boxes to do it. i was thinking the salt to but it would take 20 things of salt to get the entire house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If the Frontline didn't work, try Advantage or another brand. Maybe the fleas in your area are immune to Frontline. Also, if you haven't already, you will need to treat your yard for fleas at the same time you treat the house/pets.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• You have a live one still on your cat because the eggs that were on your cat the first time you treat were not killed; Frontline doesn't kill eggs, just live fleas. The eggs hatched out into live fleas, and that's the one you saw on your cat. You need to do successive treatments to get live fleas AND the eggs as they hatch out.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 11:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• crap this means i have to have them come spray my house again and i need to retreat all my animals. aaauuuhhh i cant do this again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Calm down, it's not so hard. Don't have them spray your house again; you did that already and it's a lot of mess and trouble and doesn't really work all that well. Just treat your animals with Frontline or Advantage again. You've already done it once; that takes care of the first treatment, yes? Now you need to do it twice more--once to kill the live fleas that you are currently seeing on your animals and all live fleas that jump onto them from your carpets and furniture, and another next month to kill the eggs when they hatch out into live fleas. It takes maybe a minute to treat each animal and five minutes for the stuff to dry into their fur and you're done. They'll thank you for it, too.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 12:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• I buy frontline plus for my cats. It DOES kill flea eggs. It is expensive, but it is worth it. If my cats don't get outside, I've been able to treat them once with the frontline plus and not have the fleas return. They ONLY return when the cats run out the back door into the yard which is infested with fleas from the local wildlife. I just found another flea on my cat, and one on my couch, so tomorrow I will be going to buy another months treatment of frontline plus, maybe two months just to make sure they are dead since we are moving to a new house and I don't want to bring them with me! Because I have hardwood floors and microfiber couches, all I do is wash any laundry that the cats may have laid on, vacuum the couches and vacuum the floors in all the crevices, and also i vacuum my mattresses too. It seems to do a pretty good job of controlling the fleas inside the house.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:05 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Go down to the feed store and get diamotecous earth. Its $6 or $8 a bag. Sprinkle it on the carpet for a few days and then vaccum. Not harmful to humans or pets, its actually food grade. Also sprinkle out in the yard. much cheaper and less toxic. We used it on a few places that had fleas and it only took a couple of treatments and the occassional retreat but its effective and non toxic.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2009