I am so upset... My son is 6 and in first grade... he told me that his teacher told the class to tell their parents to quit smoking because they will die and now he is asking me to quit because he doesn't want me to die. What do I say or do? I don't want to quit smoking and I am mad that his teacher told him this :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If the teacher really did say that and you're son (being 6) hasn't misconstrued anything then yes she was WRONG. You could politely bring it up & be like "Johnny came home the other day & was scared that I was going to die, you guys had a discussion about smoking, blah blah" and see what she says. If she felt strongly enough to tell a bunch of 6 year olds that their parents will die from smoking then she will have no problem repeating it to you, in which case you need to report it to the principal. Obviously you're an adult and you're not stupid & know the risks of smoking, we all do, but that doesn't make it OK to scare children into thinking their parents are going to DIE. Come on!!!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• His teacher is right. Your son's fears are logical. You can't stop smoking FOR YOUR KID???
    Anonymous

• I would think that she was going over the health risks of smoking and your son, being 6, took it the way you have stated. If, however, she said it in that exact way, that was obviously very wrong. Although, soon your child is going to be a little older and know that you are doing something that could kill you (and him if you smoke around him), so might as well come up with what you will tell him now.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Teachers can't tell their students THE TRUTH anymore? I don't think it was out of line, I'm sure they were talking about why smoking is bad. Sad that your son asks you to stop because he doesn't want you to die and all you have to say is you don't WANT to stop and you're mad at his teacher for telling him the TRUTH?
    Anonymous

• I know it's hard to quit smoking. I'm struggling with it myself. My 4 year old has made comments, but it's due to ME telling him how bad it is to smoke. I tell him that I'd love to quit, but it's really hard, and I'm trying. I have cut down to half a cigarette at a time when I smoke. Maybe you could try that? As for the teacher, I would have a talk with her or the principal. Yes, they have a valid point, but instilling fear into kids is not cool in my book. Besides, I believe it is something that should be discussed between parents, doctors and children only.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I smoke outside away from him and I don't smoke in my car at all so he is not getting second hand smoke. Anything can kill me including cigarettes, it's an addiction and it's not easy to just quit if I don't want to. I love my son with all of my heart and I would do what I could to make him happy but if I am not happy, then he won't be happy, right?

OP
    Anonymous

• if smoking is what makes you happy, you should get counseling... drugs etc shouldnt be a source of happiness. its false happiness.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Third hand smoke is just as dangerous as second hand smoke. Look it up. Just saying, since you think you are keeping your son safe and you really aren't. Maybe that will help you see even more of the danger.
    Anonymous

• Are you sure thats what the teacher said? I have a 6 yr old & sometimes she misunderstands what is told to her.. maybe they were just telling the kids.. smoking causes cancer, bad breath, death extra. Your child caring about you tell you his teacher says to stop smoking or you'll die because he thinks you'll listen to the teacher. As a past smker-I think you should consider quitting you would save money & have a healthier life. Just take a deep breath & relax try not to overreact.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• oh by the way I used to flush my moms cigarettes in the toilet.. after my teacher told me about the dangers of smoking.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2009