What's the scoop on the diaper count - is baby really eating enough???

My OB says I'm feeding my baby - who is three weeks old - plenty with my milk alone - apparently my supply is enough. The pediatrician says that even though he is gaining weight that she doesn't think I am producing enough for his appetite. Both said to keep track of his diapers, but how many am I actually looking for?

I feed him on demand, usually every 2 hours - sometimes 3 hours at night or every hour during the day. When I do this I am getting 1-2 poopies a day, and usually between 4-6 wet diapers a day. The same amount was seen when I tried supplementing with breastmilk I had pumped - but I was only able to expel an ounce every couple of hours. However - when I tried supplementing (formula) as suggested by the pediatrician I changed the same amount of poopies (2) - but got 8 wet diapers.

So what do you guys think - is he eating enough? How many diapers should I actually be looking for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As the others have said it sounds fine to me according to our doc. Also my son was very small at first and the doc had me weigh his dirty diapers. I had to take our usual diaper and put 4 tablespoons of water in it and weigh it and then weigh all his diapers through out the day and make sure it added up to 6-8 times the weight of the diaper I weighed with 4 tablespoons of water. I did this for a week and my little guy was having at least 8 diapers a day so the doc said to leave well enough alone. What you pump is NO indication of what your baby is getting. With my first I could not pump anything, but could hand express some for when I needed to go out. As for the poop all babies are different and my first went every other day and my second was 1-2 times every day at first.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yeah, it's 6-8 diapers a day, including both pee and poop. So, you're above the minimum. Don't stress! You're doing good, mama!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• For newborns (1st month) it should be about 8 disposable diapers or 10-12 cloth diapers. You're totally fine! Some babies poopie almost every diaper and some babies save a big whopper once or twice a day. That's what my pediatrician told me last Friday when I had similar concerns. Take care!
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 11:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• here is a chart that gives numbers http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

But I can just tell you your little one is doing great! Also don't freak when he gets older and doesn't poop as often. Breastfeed babies can go a week w/out pooping when they get past that newborn stage

Here is another chart for a older baby if you ever get nervous http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:13 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My pediatrician said it should be between 6 and 8. And my LO only pooped every other day for the first 2 months which I was told by the doc is also completely normal. So going off of that you're doing great!
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 1:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Disposable or cloth? Sopping wet, or damp? You're looking for 5-6 disposable and 6-8 cloth (per the LLL). To gage what a "wet"diaper feels like, pour 4 tablespoons of water into a diaper. That is one wet diaper. If they're fuller than that, they count as more.

Either way, it sounds like you're doing fine.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:13 AM on Nov. 4, 2009