To home school or not to home school?

I have a struggling sixth grader, who is at a second-third grade level...with NO friends...
What should I do?

JeepKittenez

Asked by JeepKittenez at 11:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Do it! You can work at his level and speed. Focus on main problem areas, kind of breeze through anything he picks up right away, maybe get him engaged by doing unit studies in areas that interest him.

As for socializing, he can go to HS groups (park days and such), library functions, maybe you'll have more time with him out of school to have him join a couple of classes in things (sports/art/etc.), maybe find some more free time for him to interact with a child or two on a personal level, join a HSing co-op. Etc.

Go join happy homeschoolers here on CM and get some more opinions. :)
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a great idea given the circumstances. Does he have learning disabilities? Do you know how to work with/around those?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. Homeschooling can be great for kids; they can learn at their own speed and socialize in a more relaxed, less structured way.

Happy Homeschoolers is a great group, over 6000 members to offer support and advice.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:51 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I agree with the previous posters. Good luck!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I homeschool my 12 yr. old ds and he is thriving. Public school is insane. Join us at happy Homeschoolers also there is tons of support online. good luck!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 9:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If you have the patience go for it! I personally could not handle it!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2009