How do you explain God to small children?

One night, when my son was about 3 he was saying his prayer before going to bed. He looked at me and asked how come he talks to God but he never sees him. I explained to him that God was everywhere and always listening. My son didn't understand the concept of everywhere at 3 so I said, "God's in your heart baby." My son then looked at me for a moment then said, "Maybe you sould take me to the doctor so he can let him out!" It was so cute I but I was stumped for an answer! Now my really close friend is going through the same thing with her very young daughter. Anyone have any suggestions?

businmessmom

Asked by businmessmom at 11:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both of my boys have a good understanding of God. Of course, we are Pagan so i explain it much differently then you do i think.
    Just keep doing what you're doing. Answer their questions as best you can. And if you don't know the answer then both of you should seek the answer together, either from the bible or the priest/pastor or Christian meditation. etc.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• awe- that is so sweet!! Thanks for sharing!! what about using a childrens bible for bedtime stories?
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• my son asked the same Q's I finally had to tell him that no one could see God but he is above the earth (used a globe for example) and he watches over us
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• How do I explain it? I don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Chefjen, outstandingLove, and Mesha125, thank you for your answers. They're well appreciated. Chefjen thanks for thinking the story is sweet...I thought so too. OustandingLove, it's great that you can offer a differing opinion with such diplomacy and respect.

Anonymous - clearly you did not read the disclaimer before hitting the anonymous button. This obviously is not a post for you therefore you should not have responded. You've definately proven yourself a coward by posting as a coward. Next time, keep to yourself, your response was not welcome.
    businmessmom

Answer by businmessmom at 10:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2009