Pot therapy for children with ASD?

Can Marijuana Help Kids with Autism?
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
filed under: health logic

This mom says giving her kid pot has made all the difference.
Gina Kaysen Fernandes: As the mother of an autistic child, Marie Myung-Ok Lee is navigating uncharted territory as she struggles to manage her son's condition. She has bravely come forward to share her son's battle with this mysterious disorder, and to discuss how medical marijuana has brought them both back from the brink of despair.

During what Marie calls the "dark phase," her son J had unpredictable mood swings that could erupt into fitful rages. Her 9-year-old would scream during lengthy tantrums, he refused to eat and threw his food on the floor. J broke plates, windows, and other household items as a way of expressing his pain and frustration. The family would hide out within the confines of their home until the darkness passed.
...(link provided below)

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 11:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If it were legal to do, I'd rather go the herbal route than chemical route with my Autistic son. I wouldn't be doing it often though. When that happens, it's just become a coping mechanism and not therapeutic.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I say good for her for doing what she finds works best for her son and not being ashamed to tell people about it. A good friend of mine has a child that is Bipolar, he is 9 and has been on antipsychotic drugs since he was 6 because of his fits of rage and outbursts. He has built up a resistance to ALL of the drugs and cannot take a higher dosage because of the dangerous side effects they have on children. She is now left with an unmedicated kid who is flunking out of school and is constantly being sent home for blowing up on the teachers and other students. My cousin tried to committ suicide when he was taking rx drugs for ADHD, which is a common side effect of these kinds of drugs (thoughts of suicide). If she feels this is safe and it is working then good for her for doing it and from what she says it is working for them and it is keep their family, her son and his teachers happy.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Hmmm. My gut is to flip out and say that there is no way a kid should be using pot. It is a powerful herb though.
    I'm hoping it's a decision that I will never have to make.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• This is exactly the reason Pot should not be legalized. There are idiots like this broad that will give this to a child, and then say its legal. People like this don't need children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• anon ...you really think that pot is worse then ANY/ALL of the pharmaceutical drugs?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:49 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Drugging a kid with ritalin or pot, is still drugging a kid. :( Sad, but sometimes neccesary.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• susie i agree with you 100% it IS sad that it is sometimes necessary to drug a child. However, marijuana typically comes with less side effects then almost any pharmaceutical drug out there and, as far as anyone can tell, it's impossible to overdose.
    Drugging a kid IS still drugging a kid. But some ways are more safe (while still being effective) then others.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Actually you can overdose on Pot. Don't ask me. I didn't inhale. BUT it can come with horrible side effects. I wish there was another way for treatment. Trust me I have issues of ADD and so do my kids. Hmmmmm maybe I can get a grow light for Christmas. J/K.
    Seriously though, having seen some kids that are uncontrollable through no fault of their own, I sympathize with her.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I meant that my son has an autism spectrum disorder. *I* have problems with ADD....sheesh.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2009